The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Dysplastic nevus or melanoma question

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Dysplastic nevus or melanoma question

Participant
      Just got mole removed during routine check. Have been pretty good about skin checks, especially in last 10 years (am 49, female). Doctor said mole is most likely a dysplastic nevus but needs to go. Said not to worry, highly unlikely it’s melanoma but it could be eventually. Pencil eraser size, one side is darker brown, one edge a little uneven. I’ve had this mole forever  and I don’t think it’s changed but it’s in a weird spot so hard for me to see it (very low back). Plus I’ve had regular skin checks, almost every year. I did some reading and it seems like the majority of melanoma do not arise in existing moles (I did not know, sorry if that’s old news to you all!). What is your experience with dysplastic nevus becoming melanoma?  Will have biopsy results in 2 weeks.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics