The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

dysplastic nevi

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community dysplastic nevi

Participant

Over the course of 12 months, I have had several moles removed.   Four were mildly dysplastic and 1 was moderate and required further extraction.   Right now, I do not think I have any other dysplastic nevi.  I did not know about dysplastic nevi prior to this year and I am becoming very frantic.
      I have a few questions.
      First, what is the risk of melanoma for someone with five dysplastic nevi?
      Second, is it possible that I do not develop anymore of these moles?
      Have you personally known someone with numerous dysplastic nevi that never developed melanoma?
      My doctor said I will have six month follow ups for two years, does this mean I am most at risk for the next two years and if I did not develop anymore in the next two years, my risk factors for skin cancer go down? 
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

There are MANY people who have dysplastic nevi that don't develop melanoma.  In fact, the vast majority of dysplastic nevi will never change to melanoma.  People who have dysplastic nevus syndrome are at higher risk for melanoma, but it doesn't sound like you are in that category.  This is a special diagnosis for people who literally have a 100+ atypical moles.

In general, most people don't develop more moles as they age (once you are 25+), so it is certainly possible that you won't develop any more dysplastic nevi.  The thing to watch for is CHANGE.  If one of your moles starts changing, itching, changing colors, doing something ASYMETRICALLY, then that is a mole that needs to be biopsied.  It doesn't mean it is melanoma, but it's a higher risk lesion that should be checked out.  I doubt you are at any more risk in the next two years than your are further out.  The thing is to make sure than nothing is changing and that your moles are stable.  Dysplastic nevi are a wakeup call to make you aware of melanoma and your skin, but they are not any guarantee that you will ever get melanoma.  The good thing is you already see a dermatologist regularly.  That is certainly more than most.  You are aware and can watch for anything that is suspicious. 

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
            Participant

One more thing, mildly dysplastic nevi are basically considered benign with no real chance to change into anything more.  Severely atypical nevi are the ones with the highest risk.  Having 4 mildly atypical nevi is really nothing special and really doesn't raise your risk much.  If you said you have 4 severely dysplastic nevi, it would be of much higher concern.

Best wishes,

Janner

jjyy
              Participant

Hello Janner.

Thank you for your response.  I really appreciate your time.

Jillian

jjyy
                Participant

Hello Janner.

Jillian

jjyy
                  Participant

Hello Janner.

Jillian

jrjrjr
                    Participant

Hello Janner.

THank you for responding to my question.

I am still very concerned.

I am receiving contridicting feedback about the dysplastic nevi.

I have gone to two dermatologist.  One seems slightly concerned and says she has worked with people with over 100.

I have another dermatologist that tells me this is very concerning and not good.   He also said melanoma can start internally and there is no way to know.  This terrified me.  I asked him if there was any testing for this and he said usually it is too late when people learn about this.   So, I think I will go to another doctor.

I feel like I am currently getting some new moles, maybe two small ones, I feel like the dysplastic ones were new.  Can my skin be dynamic right now and calm down shortly?

Do you know anyone with five dysplastic that did not develop melanoma?  I have read on the board many people started with dysplastic prior to melanoma.

Should I worry about FAMM?

Thank you for your time.

I read you bio and you are a truly amazing, strong, inspiring person.

jrjrjr
                      Participant

Hello Janner.

I have gone to two dermatologist.  One seems slightly concerned and says she has worked with people with over 100.

I have another dermatologist that tells me this is very concerning and not good.   He also said melanoma can start internally and there is no way to know.  This terrified me.  I asked him if there was any testing for this and he said usually it is too late when people learn about this.   So, I think I will go to another doctor.

I feel like I am currently getting some new moles, maybe two small ones, I feel like the dysplastic ones were new.  Can my skin be dynamic right now and calm down shortly?

Do you know anyone with five dysplastic that did not develop melanoma?  I have read on the board many people started with dysplastic prior to melanoma.

Thank you for your time.

jrjrjr
                        Participant

Hello Janner.

Thank you for your time.

jrjrjr
                          Participant

Also, is there a blood test that can be taken to determine if one has cancer?

JerryfromFauq
                            Participant

There is currently no blood test to tell if one has melanoma.  Blood tests are run to take a baseline and they can often tell if there is something malfunctioning in the human body.  The blood test does not say if the malfunction is due to melanoma, but is a pointer on where to look to see what a problem may be.

JerryfromFauq
                              Participant

There is currently no blood test to tell if one has melanoma.  Blood tests are run to take a baseline and they can often tell if there is something malfunctioning in the human body.  The blood test does not say if the malfunction is due to melanoma, but is a pointer on where to look to see what a problem may be.

JerryfromFauq
                                Participant

jrjrjr
                                  Participant

jrjrjr
                                    Participant

Janner
                                      Participant

Sorry, didn't see this.

I think you're getting the "worst case scenario" info.  As I said before, mildly atypical isn't even considered a big deal at all.  You've had one moderately atypical nevus.  That also isn't melanoma.  Not even close.  My local institution does Mole Mapping.  This is where they photograph each atypical mole at each visit.  Software and the doctors do a comparison.  They only do this on people who have DNS (100+ atypical moles) or people with multiple primaries.  After about 5000 moles mapped, 98.x% were stable and NEVER changed into melanoma.  The changing ones were biopsied and even then, not all were melanoma.

Yes, you can get new moles.  You can get new dysplastic nevus.  What you need to realize is most will never become melanoma even if they are dysplastic.  I know I have at least 15 moles on my body that are dysplastic to some degree.  I've never actually had a benign biopsy.  But as long as the moles aren't changing, I'm not worried about them.  The key to new moles is "do they look different from all my other moles" and "are they changing asymmetrically"?  I could care less if I have a dysplastic nevus as long as it is not changing and doesn't look different from all my other moles "ugly duckling".

I think FAMMM is really not something you should worry about nor internal melanoma.  You don't qualify for FAMMM and the second is so rare that it's not even worth considering.   In general, as we age, we do tend to stop creating moles.  Like with everything, though, it isn't an absolute.  If you are getting new moles, watch that they aren't changing asymmetrically.  Watch that they aren't really different from EVERYTHING else.  If they just look like all your other moles, then they're probably fine.  As I said before, if you were getting biopsies of severely atypical lesions, then the concern level would be much higher.  I, personally, don't even give a second thought to anything mildly atypical.  It's just not in the same realm as the rest.

This seems to be worrying you more than it probably needs to.  I would suggest photographing your moles in lighting you can duplicate.  Then check your moles monthly against the photographs (in the same lighting).  If you find anything that is changing asymmetrically, that is the one to show to your dermatologist.  I wish you luck on finding one that makes you feel comfortable.  I, personally, would avoid Dr. Doom and Gloom and lean toward the mildly concerned one.  The second doctor seems to reflect reality more than the first.

Best wishes,

Janner

leafygreen
                                        Participant

Hello! I found this topic when searching for my 'diagnosis' from a pathology done on a mole located on my neck.

The pathology came back as severely displastic. I will be honest, when the dermatologist took the tissue sample, she took it all off and there is nothing there now. They 'referred' me to another dermatologist office to have this removed as they are telling me IT WILL turn into a melanoma and MUST be dealt with. However, from all of the research I am finding online, this is not necessarily the case? I only have one of these. The dermatology office keeps calling me and bothering me saying they MUST close out this case and either consent for treatment or deny treatment….?

I feel at a loss because of what I'm reading to educate myself vs what they are saying, vs being able to AFFORD a 2nd opinion is a problem for me. I do not have insurance and paid for a full body scan out of pocket for something else I thought may be a problem + path/lab.

I would love any feedback that can be given and would be happy to provide more information if it is necessary for any feedback. I'm age 42 y/o female, caucasian, medium to fair skin living in the South US region. 

Thank you in advance!

leafygreen
                                          Participant

Hello! I found this topic when searching for my 'diagnosis' from a pathology done on a mole located on my neck.

The pathology came back as severely displastic. I will be honest, when the dermatologist took the tissue sample, she took it all off and there is nothing there now. They 'referred' me to another dermatologist office to have this removed as they are telling me IT WILL turn into a melanoma and MUST be dealt with. However, from all of the research I am finding online, this is not necessarily the case? I only have one of these. The dermatology office keeps calling me and bothering me saying they MUST close out this case and either consent for treatment or deny treatment….?

I feel at a loss because of what I'm reading to educate myself vs what they are saying, vs being able to AFFORD a 2nd opinion is a problem for me. I do not have insurance and paid for a full body scan out of pocket for something else I thought may be a problem + path/lab.

I would love any feedback that can be given and would be happy to provide more information if it is necessary for any feedback. I'm age 42 y/o female, caucasian, medium to fair skin living in the South US region. 

Thank you in advance!

leafygreen
                                            Participant

Thank you in advance!

leafygreen
                                              Participant

Thank you in advance!

leafygreen
                                                Participant

Thank you in advance!

leafygreen
                                                  Participant

Thank you in advance!

Janner
                                                    Participant

Sorry, didn't see this.

I think you're getting the "worst case scenario" info.  As I said before, mildly atypical isn't even considered a big deal at all.  You've had one moderately atypical nevus.  That also isn't melanoma.  Not even close.  My local institution does Mole Mapping.  This is where they photograph each atypical mole at each visit.  Software and the doctors do a comparison.  They only do this on people who have DNS (100+ atypical moles) or people with multiple primaries.  After about 5000 moles mapped, 98.x% were stable and NEVER changed into melanoma.  The changing ones were biopsied and even then, not all were melanoma.

Yes, you can get new moles.  You can get new dysplastic nevus.  What you need to realize is most will never become melanoma even if they are dysplastic.  I know I have at least 15 moles on my body that are dysplastic to some degree.  I've never actually had a benign biopsy.  But as long as the moles aren't changing, I'm not worried about them.  The key to new moles is "do they look different from all my other moles" and "are they changing asymmetrically"?  I could care less if I have a dysplastic nevus as long as it is not changing and doesn't look different from all my other moles "ugly duckling".

I think FAMMM is really not something you should worry about nor internal melanoma.  You don't qualify for FAMMM and the second is so rare that it's not even worth considering.   In general, as we age, we do tend to stop creating moles.  Like with everything, though, it isn't an absolute.  If you are getting new moles, watch that they aren't changing asymmetrically.  Watch that they aren't really different from EVERYTHING else.  If they just look like all your other moles, then they're probably fine.  As I said before, if you were getting biopsies of severely atypical lesions, then the concern level would be much higher.  I, personally, don't even give a second thought to anything mildly atypical.  It's just not in the same realm as the rest.

This seems to be worrying you more than it probably needs to.  I would suggest photographing your moles in lighting you can duplicate.  Then check your moles monthly against the photographs (in the same lighting).  If you find anything that is changing asymmetrically, that is the one to show to your dermatologist.  I wish you luck on finding one that makes you feel comfortable.  I, personally, would avoid Dr. Doom and Gloom and lean toward the mildly concerned one.  The second doctor seems to reflect reality more than the first.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                                      Participant

Sorry, didn't see this.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                                        Participant

One more thing, mildly dysplastic nevi are basically considered benign with no real chance to change into anything more.  Severely atypical nevi are the ones with the highest risk.  Having 4 mildly atypical nevi is really nothing special and really doesn't raise your risk much.  If you said you have 4 severely dysplastic nevi, it would be of much higher concern.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                                          Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                                          Participant

There are MANY people who have dysplastic nevi that don't develop melanoma.  In fact, the vast majority of dysplastic nevi will never change to melanoma.  People who have dysplastic nevus syndrome are at higher risk for melanoma, but it doesn't sound like you are in that category.  This is a special diagnosis for people who literally have a 100+ atypical moles.

In general, most people don't develop more moles as they age (once you are 25+), so it is certainly possible that you won't develop any more dysplastic nevi.  The thing to watch for is CHANGE.  If one of your moles starts changing, itching, changing colors, doing something ASYMETRICALLY, then that is a mole that needs to be biopsied.  It doesn't mean it is melanoma, but it's a higher risk lesion that should be checked out.  I doubt you are at any more risk in the next two years than your are further out.  The thing is to make sure than nothing is changing and that your moles are stable.  Dysplastic nevi are a wakeup call to make you aware of melanoma and your skin, but they are not any guarantee that you will ever get melanoma.  The good thing is you already see a dermatologist regularly.  That is certainly more than most.  You are aware and can watch for anything that is suspicious. 

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                                            Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics