The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Dr. Miller/James Brown Cancer Center Louisville, KY

Forums Ocular Melanoma Community Dr. Miller/James Brown Cancer Center Louisville, KY

Participant

My dad recently discovered his Ocular Melanoma has spread to his liver. He does not know yet to what extent although I have read some of the medical records and it seems widespread throughout the liver. He is being seen next week at James Brown Cancer Center in Louisville, KY. by Dr. Miller. Has anyone seen this doctor or been to James Brown for treatment?

Thanks

My dad recently discovered his Ocular Melanoma has spread to his liver. He does not know yet to what extent although I have read some of the medical records and it seems widespread throughout the liver. He is being seen next week at James Brown Cancer Center in Louisville, KY. by Dr. Miller. Has anyone seen this doctor or been to James Brown for treatment?

Thanks

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        SMS
        Participant

Dear Stacy,

I am very sorry to hear about your dad's ocular melanoma.  I know this is a difficult time for you and your family and my thoughts are with you.  I am currently supporting my husband in his fight against this disease as well.  As part of this fight, I am now partnering with the MRF to help spearhead a new ocular melanoma specific initiative– more details are forthcoming.  In the meantime, though, please let me/us know how we can be most helpful to you.  

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with Dr. Miller in Louisville, but that does not mean much.  From my own experience, though, (both as a physician and a patient) it is always helpful to get a second opinion if that is feasible for you.  In seeking a second opinion, I would think about finding a center where they see a good deal of metastatic ocular melanoma.  I am not sure how feasible travel is for your dad, but, in the southern area of the US, some institutions that see a good deal of ocular melanoma include:  Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa Florida and MD Anderson in Houston, TX.  If traveling further north is feasible for you, several centers, again, who see a number of patients with ocular melanoma include: Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, Ohio State University in Columbus, Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, Dana-Farber in Boston, and Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in NYC.

These are a few of the centers around the country that I know of that see a number of patients with ocular melanoma.

Hang in there– your dad is very lucky to have you helping him.  This is not an easy time so please let us know how we can be helpful to you moving forward.

Take care,

Sara – MRF

SMS
          Participant

Dear Stacy,

I am very sorry to hear about your dad's ocular melanoma.  I know this is a difficult time for you and your family and my thoughts are with you.  I am currently supporting my husband in his fight against this disease as well.  As part of this fight, I am now partnering with the MRF to help spearhead a new ocular melanoma specific initiative– more details are forthcoming.  In the meantime, though, please let me/us know how we can be most helpful to you.  

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with Dr. Miller in Louisville, but that does not mean much.  From my own experience, though, (both as a physician and a patient) it is always helpful to get a second opinion if that is feasible for you.  In seeking a second opinion, I would think about finding a center where they see a good deal of metastatic ocular melanoma.  I am not sure how feasible travel is for your dad, but, in the southern area of the US, some institutions that see a good deal of ocular melanoma include:  Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa Florida and MD Anderson in Houston, TX.  If traveling further north is feasible for you, several centers, again, who see a number of patients with ocular melanoma include: Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, Ohio State University in Columbus, Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, Dana-Farber in Boston, and Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in NYC.

These are a few of the centers around the country that I know of that see a number of patients with ocular melanoma.

Hang in there– your dad is very lucky to have you helping him.  This is not an easy time so please let us know how we can be helpful to you moving forward.

Take care,

Sara – MRF

SMS
            Participant

Dear Stacy,

Take care,

Sara – MRF

jdramsey
              Participant

My mother was treated at the Brown Cancer Center for 10+ years, they are the reason she made it as long as she did. Dr Miller is one of the best oncologists in the country and possiably the world. The staff there is also top notch. 

jdramsey
                Participant

My mother was treated at the Brown Cancer Center for 10+ years, they are the reason she made it as long as she did. Dr Miller is one of the best oncologists in the country and possiably the world. The staff there is also top notch. 

jdramsey
                  Participant

jdramsey
                    Participant

jdramsey
                      Participant

jdramsey
                        Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics