The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Does Melanoma hurt?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Does Melanoma hurt?

Participant

Hi, I'm new here, but not new to Melanoma, I was diagnosed with Malignant Melanoma 17 years ago, I have also had Basal Cell Carcinoma, both surgically removed. So here's my thing. I recently had an MRI due to headaches, tingling, numbness and pain in my finger tips and toes, loss of balance, trouble swallowing, slurred speech and phantom smells, I was then refered to a neurologist who sent me for another MRI, to see a speech pathologist and to have my eyes checked by an opthalmologist (I have Adies Tonic Pupil, in other words my pupils don't work). Anyway I have to wait another month to go back for a follow up appointment with the neurologist, so I figured I would ask a few questions here. 

I had melanoma on my stomach, I now see a new mole just above my scar and have noticed a feeling of fullness around the area and into my groin, my glands in my groin feel swollen too, Can anyone tell me if melanoma hurts, if you can feel it in the skin, as in do you feel anything with melanoma other than in the advanced stages? I don't feel any lumps in my skin, I just feel a bit of pulling and fullness, does that make sense?

I appreciate any feedback on this whatsoever, especially from people who were diagnosed many years ago and then it has returned later. 

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        blessd4x
        Participant

Please dont wait to see a doctor.   My husband has stage IV, a mole on his arm popped up, then started having arm pain, we thought it was tendonitis and he was being treated as such.  Turned out to be the turmor causing the pain. 

Elizabeth C
            Participant

I am so sorry to hear about your husband, hoping he wins his battle soon. Take care πŸ™‚

Elizabeth C
              Participant

I am so sorry to hear about your husband, hoping he wins his battle soon. Take care πŸ™‚

Elizabeth C
                Participant

Kcawood
                  Participant

Hi. I hope your husband is recovering and you are doing well.  What an awful thing for you both.  I was interested in your post because I'm having arm pain in the area of my melanoma it's being treated as tendonitis.  I just had a punch biopsy and it indicated my melanoma is in very early stage so it's not deep. However it's a second occurrence of a melanoma at the same site.  Did you husband have any testing done that verify the tendonitis or was it testing related to his mole which revealed the tumor?

My surgery to remove the melanoma is not scheduled for a few weeks and I was wondering if I should ask for further evaluation of my arm pain.  Could just be a coincidence that I have tendonitis in the area of the melanoma.  I appreciate your thoughts.

blessd4x
                  Participant

Please dont wait to see a doctor.   My husband has stage IV, a mole on his arm popped up, then started having arm pain, we thought it was tendonitis and he was being treated as such.  Turned out to be the turmor causing the pain. 

blessd4x
                    Participant

Janner
                      Participant

Most people don't "feel" anything at the skin level unless it is a bump or pea-like lump under the skin.  Having a mole nearby your WLE scar wouldn't be alarming unless that mole was suspicious itself.  Inside your scar would be more worrying.  None of the symptoms you describe would make me automatically think melanoma — except — if your groin lymph nodes are swollen.  If both sides feel basically the same, then maybe what you have going on is something more systemic.  But if you can feel one side different than the others or one or two specific nodes swollen that aren't echoed on the other side, that is more concerning.  Melanoma is unlikely to spread symmetrically.  Do you know anything about your melanoma?  Staging at the time?  Depth of the lesion?

Obviously you can't rule out melanoma – none of us can.  You also have to consider what would be the most likely explanation and being 17 years melanoma free – that isn't the most likely explanation.  Again, it can't be ruled out but the neurological symptoms don't really match melanoma in the absense of a melanoma brain tumor which has already been ruled out. 

Obviously, you can contact a melanoma oncologist.  But the neurologist – given your symptoms – doesn't sound like a bad option.  In the end, YOU have to do what makes YOU comfortable.  Good luck!

Elizabeth C
                          Participant

My lymph nodes are swollen on one side only and I have a fullness on one side only, at times it hurts to walk, like a pulled muscle in my groin, but I've not done any strenuous activity recently, so….. I am waiting to hear from the neurologist, hopefully in the next few days, otherwise its a months wait for my appointment.  

When I say about the new mole being near, I mean in the area of the scarring but no right in the middle of it, its small and looks like a halo mole.

Anyways, thanks for you response πŸ™‚

Elizabeth C
                            Participant

My lymph nodes are swollen on one side only and I have a fullness on one side only, at times it hurts to walk, like a pulled muscle in my groin, but I've not done any strenuous activity recently, so….. I am waiting to hear from the neurologist, hopefully in the next few days, otherwise its a months wait for my appointment.  

When I say about the new mole being near, I mean in the area of the scarring but no right in the middle of it, its small and looks like a halo mole.

Elizabeth C
                              Participant

Elizabeth C
                                Participant

I'm sorry I failed to say, my staging was thin melanoma, 2 mm deep if I recall correctly, I had a hand sized amount of skin taken from my stomach, the scar is large and it was very deep.

Elizabeth C
                                  Participant

I'm sorry I failed to say, my staging was thin melanoma, 2 mm deep if I recall correctly, I had a hand sized amount of skin taken from my stomach, the scar is large and it was very deep.

Elizabeth C
                                    Participant

Janner
                                    Participant

Most people don't "feel" anything at the skin level unless it is a bump or pea-like lump under the skin.  Having a mole nearby your WLE scar wouldn't be alarming unless that mole was suspicious itself.  Inside your scar would be more worrying.  None of the symptoms you describe would make me automatically think melanoma — except — if your groin lymph nodes are swollen.  If both sides feel basically the same, then maybe what you have going on is something more systemic.  But if you can feel one side different than the others or one or two specific nodes swollen that aren't echoed on the other side, that is more concerning.  Melanoma is unlikely to spread symmetrically.  Do you know anything about your melanoma?  Staging at the time?  Depth of the lesion?

Obviously you can't rule out melanoma – none of us can.  You also have to consider what would be the most likely explanation and being 17 years melanoma free – that isn't the most likely explanation.  Again, it can't be ruled out but the neurological symptoms don't really match melanoma in the absense of a melanoma brain tumor which has already been ruled out. 

Obviously, you can contact a melanoma oncologist.  But the neurologist – given your symptoms – doesn't sound like a bad option.  In the end, YOU have to do what makes YOU comfortable.  Good luck!

Janner
                                      Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics