The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Does black in a mole always mean melanoma?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Does black in a mole always mean melanoma?

Participant

My background: I have had 2 MM in-situs, 4 severes and lots of mild/moderate atypia. Last week I noticed a tiny (1mm) spot on my upper breast that I never noticed before. It just looked like a dark brown dot, but when I looked at it using a magnifying glass I saw a black line running through it and several black dots on the edges. I'm not sure why it even caught my attention and made me want to inspect it closer. It really didn't look suspicious until I looked at it thru the magnifying glass. None of my other moles look like this one when magnified.

I called the derm office yesterday, and they told me I could come right in and have it checked. Well I went in and the derm said that it did indeed have black in it when he looked thru the dermoscope and he did a punch biopsy.  Now I am freaking out thinking the worst. Does the tiny size of the spot make a difference? Is there anything else it could be or are all moles/spots with black in them melanoma?

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        BillMFl
        Participant

I have a history similar to yours. And I happen to have quite a few SKs that look very scary but are benign. Some of the first ones were biopsied but now we know not to worry. I am more concerned with lesions that different from my existing ones. By the way, put a drop of baby oil or similar and look closely with magnification. If the black spots appear to be floating up from below I would be more concerned than if they appear to be at or near the surface. However, with many positives of all types of skin cancer my motto over the years is "when in doubt, have it out". I have yet to hear of anyone dying from a biopsy. But way too many have by ignoring something suspicious!

7amberk
            Participant

I just had a mole removed from my breast that started out as a black mole. During and after my pregnancy is took on the fried egg appearance. How did yours end up being ? I am waiting on results stil 

Viewing 0 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics