The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Does anyone else have Atypical Mole Syndrome?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Does anyone else have Atypical Mole Syndrome?

Participant

First off, I'd like to ask if it's okay for me to ask a few questions here. I've not been diagnosed with melanoma yet, but all the dermatologists seem to think it's just a matter of time. My first dermatologist visit was for acne when I was about 13, and that was also the first time I had pictures taken of some of my moles and received the sun safety lecture. I'm very fair and have had dozens of 2nd degree sunburns; we actually thought I had a sun allergy for awhile frown

My last dermatologist visit was during the summer where my mom had two Basal cells cut off and I had another skin check. She was instructed to go to a derm once every year, but I was still told to come in every 6 months, which seems kind of ridiculous considering I've never even had any skin cancer and I'm only 21.

My main question is about whether anyone else has a high number of atypical moles and if your melanoma resembled them. I know people always say to look for the ugly duckling, but for me, most of my moles are ugly in various different ways. I missed my last derm visit so I'm scheduled for one next summer, I was just curious about everyone's premelanoma stories. 

Also, a side question to those of you with multiple moles: how do you monitor all of them? I know change is a big one, but I can't monitor all my moles and I cant even see the ones on my back. I also imagine that with pictures all my moles would get mixed up, since I probably have over 40 just on my legs.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bobman
        Participant

This is the place to ask questions .  I have the atypical  mole syndrome , also known  as DNS (dysplastic  nevI syndrome ) ,and like you had uncountable  sunburns  by the time I was your age. It is challenging  monitoring  so many  lesions , any one of which would  be worthy  of biopsy  in a normal  persons visit  to a dermatologist . Pictures  are good  for detecting  change , but they must be close up,clear,and in a grid like  format  to accurately  access  before , and  after  changes .  Some  dermatologist  groups  do mole mapping , and given you are so young , and this is the beginning  of a life long  process  for you, it may be worth  looking  for  someone  that does that . One  year  intervals  between  appointments  for  you is too long. Stay regular  with  with your  6 months  appointment  schedule , or even more often to stay on top of changes. Lesions  can change  very  quickly , and if they  do, go in for a biopsy .  Biopsies  are easy.

I have well  over  500 atypical lesions  but have  got to be pretty  good  at  spotting  the ugly  duck  among  the flock of ugly  ducklings . For me it is what has  changed , or what  is new that has been  the problem . Whenever  something  new pop's  up, or changes , it gets  a biopsy .  I'm up to eleven  melanomas , four with  some depth , and seven InSitu . Twenty  one wide excisions  to deal with that,plus all the severely  atypical  lesions . I don't  say any of this to scare you,but you need  to be vigilant  with your  appointments  and keep  a close eye   on your  body .  You  will  develop  a   keen  eye  the more you look ,and having  a good  dermatologist  looking  with you is essential . 

Best  wishes , and Aloha  

Bob

Raluca
            Participant

Hello,

I have the atypical mole syndrome to. Over the years I had more biopsies but only one turned up to be melanoma and I discovered early. My mole modified a little and I got it out. I do mole mapping at dermatologist every 3 months.

SOLE
              Participant

Same here. I also have a few hundred moles which is very stressful and they all look atypical in many different ways. 

Kaitlin
                Participant

Thank you for your advice! I'll be home this summer and my mom mentioned that there's a really good dermatoogist near by (Las Vegas) that she wants me to go to. Hoping to get at least a few more appointments in while I'm still on their insurance wink I've been reading more about mole mapping and I'm really considering it, even just to give me peace of mind. It's so odd not even knowing if a mole is new. I have a new big one on my pelvis and I keep doing double takes because I'm pretty postive it's new, but you can never really be sure. Maybe I just missed it before. You would think you would notice it growing though! It's as if they just pop up overnight, so crazy. 

I appreciate your response, I'm glad I'm not the only one with so many atypical moles. Hopefully in a few more years I'll be more used to my moles and be able to spot worrying things easier. I also know that it's normal for new moles to crop up until mid 20s so I suppose thats reassuring.

SOLE
                  Participant

Just wanted to add that I have had appear on my skin since childhood and more since the last few years before my diagnosis… Had I known, I would have seen a derm before all this happened. 

Viewing 0 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics