The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Delayed Systemic Recurrence of Uveal Melanoma

Forums Ocular Melanoma Community Delayed Systemic Recurrence of Uveal Melanoma

Inactive

Posted on behalf of edamaser:

Posted on behalf of edamaser:

Delayed Systemic Recurrence of Uveal Melanoma

Kolandjian, Nathalie A. BA; Wei, Caimiao PhD; Patel, Sapna P. MD; Richard, Jessica L. ANP; Dett, Tina FNP; Papadopoulos, Nicholas E. MD; Bedikian, Agop Y. MDAbstract

Context: Metastatic uveal melanoma recurrence after >=10 years is not well studied in the clinical literature. This study describes the clinical characteristics and natural history of patients with delayed tumor recurrence.

Objective: To describe the characteristics of patients with delayed systemic recurrence of uveal melanoma and the natural history of the disease after recurrence.

Evidence Acquisition: This is a chart review of patients treated between 1994 and 2008 at The University of Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Center for uveal melanoma whose disease recurred >=10 years after treatment of the primary tumor.

Results: Of 463 patients treated for metastatic uveal melanoma, 305 developed systemic recurrence within 5 years from the time of diagnosis of primary melanoma, 97 developed systemic recurrences between 5 and 10 years, whereas 61 patients developed metastasis after >=10 years. The interval between primary to first systemic metastasis was a significant independent predictor of survival time from first systemic metastasis. The median survival time for patients with delayed metastatic recurrence after >=10 years was significantly longer than for patients who had intermediate or early systemic recurrence. Levels of lactate dehydrogenase, serum alkaline phosphatase, serum albumin, age, M-stage, and performance status at time of recurrence, as well as sex were also independent predictors of survival time from systemic recurrence.

Conclusions: Longer time interval between primary and first systemic metastasis is significantly correlated with prolonged survival. Patients who survive >=10 years without tumor metastasis after treatment for primary uveal melanoma cannot be considered cured. Prognosis remains poor for patients with metastatic uveal melanoma.

(C) 2012 Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Inc. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        ThatHomeschoolDad
        Participant

Well, mine metastasized just two years after primary, and I'm the wrong gender, BUT my LDH never topped 150, even right after IHP, so I'm pinning all my hopes on that little number and whatever other "signs" I care to interpret in my favor.

–Tom

ThatHomeschoolDad
          Participant

Well, mine metastasized just two years after primary, and I'm the wrong gender, BUT my LDH never topped 150, even right after IHP, so I'm pinning all my hopes on that little number and whatever other "signs" I care to interpret in my favor.

–Tom

ThatHomeschoolDad
            Participant

–Tom

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics