The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Decision Dx recommended at 9mo follow up.

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Decision Dx recommended at 9mo follow up.

Participant

At my skin check today (9 month follow up to removal of deep nodular amelanotic lesion) my derm recommended the Castle Decision Dx test be done on my biopsy specimen in storage.  I agreed since she said it was no cost to me but forgot to ask when to expect to hear results. 

Just wondering what prompted them to start recommending now. Guess I should have asked that too. I saw some older posts here that sounded skeptical and link to Celeste's blog post. Kind of feels uncomfortable to be thinking about percentages and likelihoods of recurrence or spreading as at this point as I had those thoughts tucked away for now.

Possibly just the results of marketing millions being spent?

https://melanomanewstoday.com/2015/07/31/castle-biosciences-receives-funding-decisiondx-melanoma-test/

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Joycem
        Participant

Also thanks to all who make this forum such a great resource. Blessings to you all on your journeys. You are in my prayers.

joyce

KatieB
            Participant

My doctor is doing castle testing on mine but the way he explained it to me was that it's very, very experimental and will probably not give me much information.   I think he was doing it more to have more samples so that he has more information for his study.    So it may just be that doctors are in a phase of gathering more information on it?  And he didn't expect the results for five or six weeks.

Joycem
              Participant

Thanks, the 5 or 6 weeks is good to know. Not sure I even want to know results as class one might make make me less vigilant but doesn't guarantee anything, nor does class 2 really change expectations from my current staging, so yes, I will just think if it as providing data that may or may not be useful in the future. 

Joycem
                Participant

Thanks, the 5 or 6 weeks is good to know. Not sure I even want to know results as class one might make make me less vigilant but doesn't guarantee anything, nor does class 2 really change expectations from my current staging, so yes, I will just think if it as providing data that may or may not be useful in the future. 

Joycem
                  Participant

Oops. Sorry- anyone know how to delete a double post ? 

coltbnme
                    Participant

My oncologist sent mine out to Castle and got results in two weeks.

coltbnme
                      Participant

My oncologist sent mine out to Castle and got results in two weeks.

KatieB
                        Participant

They definitely gave me the impression not to put too much stock in it. Hopefully, it will be helpful for future patients.

Viewing 0 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics