The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Deciding treatment plan

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Deciding treatment plan

Participant

In May I was diagnosed with Level 4 Melanoma on my back and a precancerous spot. As soon as I was diagnosed, I had a mammogram and pap test. I had both spots removed in June, along with biopsies of lymph nodes. I also had an MRI and PET Scan. Those came back as Stage 3A Cancer, angiolymphatic, but it did not spread to any organs. I went in on August 15th to have those lymph nodes removed from my neck and under my arm.

A week after surgery I went in to have a drain removed. I was told my pathology report was not available. I go in on Sept 5th to have bloodwork, the last drain removed and to discuss immunotherapy. Interferon and Yervoy are the two suggested. Wait and see is not suggested. Then I got a call that they decided to do another mammogram. Not sure if I should be concerned. Well, of course I am concerned. 

I'm reading mixed signals on both of the treatments though. I did check with my insurance, and both are approved. I would love to hear from others who have gone through this and have suggestions. Or suggested questions to ask my doctors. Thanks to these forums, I've learned that I need to start a probiotic, and I am asking that question as well so I know it's in my chart. 

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Hello D, 

Sorry for what you are dealing with.  One step at a time is all you can take.  Yet, being prepared is one of them.  I put this post together recently and you might find it helpful:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2017/08/melanoma-intel-primer-for-current.html  

While it is more directed at Stage IIIIb – Stage IV….it will give you some information about the two drugs you have been offered, as well as information on all the other treatments and jargon you will be hearing soon, if you haven't already.  

I wish you my best.  celeste

ed williams
          Participant

Hi Dabernethy, just to add to what Celeste has given you, I have 2 link that both feature Dr. Jason Luke a leading Oncologist in Melanoma. The rate of change of new options is pretty amazing over the last 5 years for Melanoma patients. The first link is from late 2015 early 2016 and the second link is from July of 2017. Hope you find these links helpful!!! Best Wishes!!!Ed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eofW8d4J6sI  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BIXL2A1EKc

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics