The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Cutaneous/Mucosal

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Cutaneous/Mucosal

Participant

Can cutaneous melanoma spread to the mouth, and if it can does that mean you now have mucosal melanoma too?  My original melanoma was on my scalp but my melanoma surgeon always looks into my mouth during my exam?  He says he is checking for melanoma.  If he did find melanoma in my mouth, let's say my tonsils, wouldn't that mean that I now have mucosal melanoma too? Thanks. HeidiZ

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Becky
        Participant

My son's primary was in his mouth ( tongue) although I never saw the words "mucosal" on any of the reports. From what I have heard, once melanoma has spread it does not really matter, treatments are all pretty much the same. In my sons case, the primary was oral, it had spread to one lymph node and so was treated as any other stage 3 melanoma

Becky
            Participant

Not to say there are not some differences between a primary cutanious and mucosal…but I also think that it is pretty rare for primary on the skin to spread to oral so maybe your doctor is just extra cautious …which is a good thing!

cancersnewnormal
            Participant

Primary cutaneous melanoma can spread ANYWHERE. Mucosal melanoma is a "whole different breed" with different genetic mutations. So, IF your cutaneous melanoma were to metastisize to your mouth or tonsils, you would then still have cutaneous melanoma… it would now just be classified as metastisized, but would NOT be "mucosal melanoma". 🙂 

Viewing 1 reply thread
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics