The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Cutaneous met or mucosal?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Cutaneous met or mucosal?

Participant

My primary and subsequent subq tumors were cutaneous. Initial diagnosis superficial spreading melanoma in situ. 5 years later groin node 4cm tumor. Fast forward to 10 years later and melanoma found in fibroid in uterus. Is this a cutaneous met or mucosal?  Does it matter in terms of treatment?  I am BRAF and cKit neg .  But not sure which tumor sample was used for testing (subq from arm or fibroid?) so am going to ask new oncologist to retest from fibroid sample if possible. Side question, can such testing be done a year post surgery?

i had hysterectomy with fibroids removed but had new tumor in same place and on vaginal cuff last summer. Have completed pd1, ipi ,and radiation. Tumor stable but looking for next step so want to know if cutaneous or mucosal for possible options.

Thanks for for any knowledge you have to pass on to me.  

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        JerryfromFauq
        Participant

Have they checked for NRAS mutations?

JerryfromFauq
          Participant

mau
              Participant

I haven't heard of this. I have to ask my onc for such things and I will. What treatment option would this provide?

thanks. 

mau
                Participant

I haven't heard of this. I have to ask my onc for such things and I will. What treatment option would this provide?

thanks. 

mau
                  Participant

thanks. 

maria d
                    Participant

Hi Jerry

I am new to the site, so excuse me if I don't follow Protocol, as I on't know all the rules.

I have Mucosal Rectal Melanoma.  The Tumor was resected January 2, and I am BRAF and CKIT Mutation free.

The Oncologists tried to enroll me in a clinical trial, but I was declined – NOT METASTATIC, yet.

So, they are jut monitoring me, for now.  What can you tell me abou this dreadful disease?

Thanks

Maria D

maria d
                      Participant

Hi Jerry

I am new to the site, so excuse me if I don't follow Protocol, as I on't know all the rules.

I have Mucosal Rectal Melanoma.  The Tumor was resected January 2, and I am BRAF and CKIT Mutation free.

The Oncologists tried to enroll me in a clinical trial, but I was declined – NOT METASTATIC, yet.

So, they are jut monitoring me, for now.  What can you tell me abou this dreadful disease?

Thanks

Maria D

maria d
                        Participant

Hi Jerry

Thanks

Maria D

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

JC
                          Participant

The groin node was from the in situ 5 years earlier?

mau
                              Participant

That has been the thought. 

Unusual to progress so if you were diagnosed in situ don't panic. My version of the disease is not typical. 

mau
                                Participant

Unusual to progress so if you were diagnosed in situ don't panic. My version of the disease is not typical. 

mau
                                  Participant

JC
                                  Participant

JC
                                    Participant

Phil S
                                      Participant

Looks like your melanoma history was cutaneous, so likely your tumors are also cutaneous.  However, really your focus should be coming up with another treatment plan.  My husband has mucosal melanoma and has been offered and done the following treatment, interferon, radiation, surgery, biochemo, and TILS, all treatments offered to both cutaneous and mucosal patients.  Pretty sure once the melanoma has spread they are treated exactly the same, especially since you are CKit negative.  Wishing you all the best, my husband is still doing well over 4 years in the battle.   Valerie (Phil's wife)

Phil S
                                        Participant

Looks like your melanoma history was cutaneous, so likely your tumors are also cutaneous.  However, really your focus should be coming up with another treatment plan.  My husband has mucosal melanoma and has been offered and done the following treatment, interferon, radiation, surgery, biochemo, and TILS, all treatments offered to both cutaneous and mucosal patients.  Pretty sure once the melanoma has spread they are treated exactly the same, especially since you are CKit negative.  Wishing you all the best, my husband is still doing well over 4 years in the battle.   Valerie (Phil's wife)

Phil S
                                          Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                            Participant

NIH released a report at the end of last year that NRAS mutation melanoma patients have a 47% positive response to HD IL-2.  Have heard a statistical breakout of how the other immunotherapies work against the NRAS mutations.  This is one of the few biomarkers to date as to what IL-2 works the best on.  The other item is that if one has a very high LDH this reduces the effectiveness of IL-2.    Slowly sneaking up on what to try for whom!

JerryfromFauq
                                              Participant

NIH released a report at the end of last year that NRAS mutation melanoma patients have a 47% positive response to HD IL-2.  Have heard a statistical breakout of how the other immunotherapies work against the NRAS mutations.  This is one of the few biomarkers to date as to what IL-2 works the best on.  The other item is that if one has a very high LDH this reduces the effectiveness of IL-2.    Slowly sneaking up on what to try for whom!

JerryfromFauq
                                                  Participant

Lost the word NOT:  Have NOT heard a statistical breakout of how the other immunotherapies work against the NRAS mutations.

JerryfromFauq
                                                    Participant

Lost the word NOT:  Have NOT heard a statistical breakout of how the other immunotherapies work against the NRAS mutations.

JerryfromFauq
                                                      Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                      Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics