The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Could itching, numbness, tingling be a sign of a cancerous mole? Did anyone have physical symptoms such as this?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Could itching, numbness, tingling be a sign of a cancerous mole? Did anyone have physical symptoms such as this?

Participant
      I had a mole removed when i was 18 and it came back as pre-cancerous and was told all was good with just them removing it. Being 18 I did not ask questions and moved on with life. Now I am 38. I have a new spot on my back that itches like crazy. I can hardly reach the spot but from what I can feel it feels a lil crusty and slightly raised. I had my daughter look at it and just asked her to describe what it looks like. She stated its sort of brown with a black dot in the center. I asked her if it was round and she stated, no its just goofy. I didnt ask her anymore because i didnt want to worry her. I have an maternal aunt who had melanoma. I know i need to get this checked sooner than later but currently do not have healthcare insurance. Just wondering if itching is a symptom anyone has experienced. And if so did you wait or go in immediately and what was the outcome. I should have insurance in 30 days. Oh, one more detail that is odd. The area surrounding the mole goes numb and gets kind of tingly similar to what it feels like when your foot falls asleep. That area feels like a perfect square and covers like a 3×3 inch spot on my back and the mole is somewhere in that area. I had surgery on my shoulder 1 year ago and thought it may be related to that but when i mentioned it to my surgeon he stated he felt it had nothing to do with my shoulder and sent me on my way. I had not discovered the mole on my back at that point. (The numbness started first, then the itching and then i felt the mole and had my daughter describe it to me.) Has anyone ever had that as an symptom either.I know that the only true answers can come from a doctor and a biposy just looking for some insight on what my next steps should be. Do i wait for insurance or try to get in sooner? How
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        klmillard10
        Participant

Do not wait! My melanoma was a brown mole with also black in it. I went to my derm and had it biopsed, it came back as melanoma. I am currently recovering from my second surgery, removal of my lymph nodes but at this point do not need any further treatment. My oncologist remarked that I had a waited a few more months, I could had been dealing with another stage, rather then stage 3A. I sincerely hope it is just a mole, best of luck!!!

casagrayson
          Participant

I've had moles that itched that turned out to be nothing.  Obviously the only way to know for sure is to have it biopsied.  While I certainly don't want to discourage you from getting it looked at soon, I also understand the need to wait for insurance to kick in.  Could your daughter take a picture of it now, and then in a week or so to see if it it changing?  That is one of the most important clues for cancerous lesions — evolution.  

jennunicorn
            Participant

Mine itched a lot and would bleed when I scratched it. I didn't know it was melanoma… my primary doc told me it was a sebhorric keratosis, so I didn't have it removed for 6 months… in which time it kept growing constantly and kept itching. If it's been growing in size, I would not wait to see a dermatologist. I would pay a very large number of money if I could go back in time and tell my doctor to remove it when it was very small and no big deal despite her misdiagosis. 

Janner
              Participant

Itching is an indication of change – and change is something we watch for.  So yes, it is a very good idea to have this biopsed..  If you can't afford to go now and must wait for your insurance, at least schedule an appointment now so you can go in immediately after you get insurance.

AliCat61
                Participant

Please do not wait. Do not take chances with your life. There is help for you even if you don't have insurance. FQHCs are community-based organizations that provide comprehensive primary care and preventive care, including health, oral, and mental health/substance abuse services to persons of all ages, regardless of their ability to pay or health insurance status. You can visit  http://www.fqhc.org/find-an-fqhc/ to find one near you. I know this because I used to work as an IT director at an GQHC health care clinic. There is ALWAYS a way to get help. If I can be of assistance, please feel free to message me privately. I will pray that it is harmless, but it is best to be sure. 

Wendy4754
                    Participant
                      Thank you for the info. I will definitely be checking it out.
                    Wendy4754
                    Participant
                      I went to my primary doctor today. She agreed that the mole does look suspicious. I will be going in on Friday to have it removed for biopsy. She also wants me to make an appointment with a dermatologist to have a head to toe skin assesment done. Thank you all for the guidnance. For now I will just pray, pray and pray somemore. You all will be in my prayers as well.
                  Viewing 5 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics