The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Congenital Nevus about 2cm

Forums Pediatric & AYA Melanoma Community Congenital Nevus about 2cm

Participant
      Hi,

My son (12y) has a mole (probably congenital nevus) on his shoulder around 2cm x 1cm. As far as we know, he’s had it since he is very little, probably around 2 – 3 years old. We’ve never been worried about it because the doctor said it looks normal. Recently, after hearing numerous of melanoma in our friends’ group, I’ve started feeling anxious about this. I’ve started measuring it 2 years ago and the size hasn’t changed much (if at all). Also we just recently had it checked the doctor and they did not notice anything abnormal.

I know it’s very rare that it could turn into melanoma, however I always have that anxious feeling that it could turn into melanoma. Should it be removed for a piece of mind? Do you know anyone that has a mole that size and keep it into their adulthood and whether it became a melanoma or stay benign.

Thanks

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Miriam Kadosh
        Keymaster
          General guidance for congenital nevi (CMN) in children: unless there are melanoma specific features or features worrisome for melanoma, we do not recommend prophylactic removal of CMN during childhood or adolescence (or at any time), especially for those of smaller size; The risk of melanoma developing in a small sized, or smaller sized medium CMN is very low, over one’s lifetime, albeit it is no zero. When melanoma does develop, based on the current literature, it is more likely to develop in later decades of life, like the 60’s, and develops at the borders of the lesion, like a typical adult melanoma.
          Most melanomas develop de novo, in general, in fact, meaning from a spot of normal skin and not a mole someone has had all their lives.
          Checking CMN once a year at the PCP is recommended and if there are concerning changes or symptoms, definitely see a dermatologist right away (ideally a pediatric one until he is closer to 18).
      Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics