The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

chridal melanoma metastses to liver help needed.

Forums Ocular Melanoma Community chridal melanoma metastses to liver help needed.

Participant

A newcomer came   into chat  from Denver and needs help for a friend that has ocular melanoma that has gone to her lever.  She has failed TACE and Ipi.   She had allergic reaction to the yervoy so is on prednisone right now.  She has dropped weight and lost hair & appeqrs ok outwardly but has a new tumor and another one getting larger.

She needs help with reearch. 

I have some questions about what type mutations have been discovered in this type melanoma and what other trials, drugs might help. 

A newcomer came   into chat  from Denver and needs help for a friend that has ocular melanoma that has gone to her lever.  She has failed TACE and Ipi.   She had allergic reaction to the yervoy so is on prednisone right now.  She has dropped weight and lost hair & appeqrs ok outwardly but has a new tumor and another one getting larger.

She needs help with reearch. 

I have some questions about what type mutations have been discovered in this type melanoma and what other trials, drugs might help. 

Thank you for helping this lady.  I hope to get to visit them when ic Colorado during the net couple of months.    My dial p is too slow and I am running   out of time to get reaedy to leave for Colorado.

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        Terra
        Participant

Someone else may be of better help.  But there are a number of mutations she can be tested for ie NRAS, BRAF and then have a targeted treatment for one of these.  There is IL-2 or many people are talking about PD-1 which I think is a close relative of ipi.  I am sure someone else will post more about these choices.  Good luck to your friend. 

Terra
          Participant

Someone else may be of better help.  But there are a number of mutations she can be tested for ie NRAS, BRAF and then have a targeted treatment for one of these.  There is IL-2 or many people are talking about PD-1 which I think is a close relative of ipi.  I am sure someone else will post more about these choices.  Good luck to your friend. 

Janner
            Participant

In the past, I think most ocular melanoma patients have found help elsewhere as there isn't much of that on this board.  I do know that someone once recommended http://www.eyecancer.com as a good place to start. 

Janner

p.s. Stay off of horses, Jerry!

Janner
              Participant

In the past, I think most ocular melanoma patients have found help elsewhere as there isn't much of that on this board.  I do know that someone once recommended http://www.eyecancer.com as a good place to start. 

Janner

p.s. Stay off of horses, Jerry!

Teodora

Hi Jerry,

Doesn't ocular melanoma qualify as mucosal too?

Regarding specific permutations in mucosal, when discussing my slides being tested, Dr.Hodi was  very dismissive about the possibility to have NRAS or any other gene mutation /BRAF excluded  100%/, except the C-kit /if any at all/.

My impression is that they don't have high expectation for any  specific permutations being found  in mucosal  at all in most of the cases,and having the C-kit is  rather exception.Consider yourself lucky/smile/.

Teodora

JerryfromFauq
                    Participant

I have seen nothing refering yo uveal as being Mucousal, but the followig does indicaate a ssimilar -kit rlationship.

ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uveal_melanoma

Read the entire article. #

Uveal melanoma is distinct from most skin melanomas associated with ultraviolet exposure; however, it shares several similarities with non-sun-exposed melanomas, such as acral melanomas and mucosal melanomas. BRAF mutations are extremely rare in posterior uveal melanomas;[5] instead, uveal melanomas frequently harbor GNAQ/GNA11 mutations, a trait shared with blue nevi, Nevus of Ota, and Ocular melanosis.[6][7] As seen in BRAF, mutations in GNAQ/GNA11 are early events in tumorigenesis and are not prognostic for tumor stage or later metastatic spread.[8] In contrast, mutations in the gene BAP1 are strongly linked to metastatic spread and patient survival.[9

Expression of c-Kit and its ligand SCF in primary uveal melanoma

Jan 28, 2011 – To evaluate the concurrent rate of expression of c-Kit and its ligand stem cell factor (SCF) in uveal melanoma in respect to the further
                      ****************************************************************************************************
                      ***http://digitool.library.mcgill.ca/R/?func=dbin-jump-full&object_id=14187&local_base=GEN01-MCG02

BACKGROUND:Uveal melanoma (UM) is the most common primary intraocular tumor in adults, leading to metastasis in 40% of the cases and ultimately to death in 10 years, despite local and/or systemic treatment. The c-kit protein (CD117) is a membrane-bound tyrosine kinase receptor and its overexpression has been observed in several neoplasms. Imatinib mesylate is a FDA approved compound that inhibits tyrosine quinase receptors, as well as c-kit. Imatinib mesylate controls tumor growth in up to 85% of advanced gastrointestinal stromal tumors, a neoplasia resistant to conventional therapy.METHODS:Fifty-five specimens of primary UM selected from the archives of the Ocular Pathology Laboratory, McGill University, Montreal, Canada, were immunostained for c-kit. All cells displaying distinct immunoreactivity were considered positive. Four human UM cell lines and 1 human uveal transformed melanocyte cell line were tested for in vitro proliferation Assays (TOX-6) and invasion assay with imatinib mesylate (concentration of 10 µM).RESULTS:The c-kit expression was positive in 78.2% of the UM. There was a statistical significant decrease in the proliferation and invasion rates of all 5 cell lines.CONCLUSION:The majority of UM expressed c-kit, and imatinib mesylate does decrease the proliferation and invasion rates of human UM cell lines. These results justify the need for a clinical trial to investigate in vivo the response of UM to imatinib mesylate.******************************************************

JerryfromFauq
                      Participant

I have seen nothing refering yo uveal as being Mucousal, but the followig does indicaate a ssimilar -kit rlationship.

ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uveal_melanoma

Read the entire article. #

Uveal melanoma is distinct from most skin melanomas associated with ultraviolet exposure; however, it shares several similarities with non-sun-exposed melanomas, such as acral melanomas and mucosal melanomas. BRAF mutations are extremely rare in posterior uveal melanomas;[5] instead, uveal melanomas frequently harbor GNAQ/GNA11 mutations, a trait shared with blue nevi, Nevus of Ota, and Ocular melanosis.[6][7] As seen in BRAF, mutations in GNAQ/GNA11 are early events in tumorigenesis and are not prognostic for tumor stage or later metastatic spread.[8] In contrast, mutations in the gene BAP1 are strongly linked to metastatic spread and patient survival.[9

Expression of c-Kit and its ligand SCF in primary uveal melanoma

Jan 28, 2011 – To evaluate the concurrent rate of expression of c-Kit and its ligand stem cell factor (SCF) in uveal melanoma in respect to the further
                        ****************************************************************************************************
                        ***http://digitool.library.mcgill.ca/R/?func=dbin-jump-full&object_id=14187&local_base=GEN01-MCG02

BACKGROUND:Uveal melanoma (UM) is the most common primary intraocular tumor in adults, leading to metastasis in 40% of the cases and ultimately to death in 10 years, despite local and/or systemic treatment. The c-kit protein (CD117) is a membrane-bound tyrosine kinase receptor and its overexpression has been observed in several neoplasms. Imatinib mesylate is a FDA approved compound that inhibits tyrosine quinase receptors, as well as c-kit. Imatinib mesylate controls tumor growth in up to 85% of advanced gastrointestinal stromal tumors, a neoplasia resistant to conventional therapy.METHODS:Fifty-five specimens of primary UM selected from the archives of the Ocular Pathology Laboratory, McGill University, Montreal, Canada, were immunostained for c-kit. All cells displaying distinct immunoreactivity were considered positive. Four human UM cell lines and 1 human uveal transformed melanocyte cell line were tested for in vitro proliferation Assays (TOX-6) and invasion assay with imatinib mesylate (concentration of 10 µM).RESULTS:The c-kit expression was positive in 78.2% of the UM. There was a statistical significant decrease in the proliferation and invasion rates of all 5 cell lines.CONCLUSION:The majority of UM expressed c-kit, and imatinib mesylate does decrease the proliferation and invasion rates of human UM cell lines. These results justify the need for a clinical trial to investigate in vivo the response of UM to imatinib mesylate.******************************************************

Janner
                        Participant

Ocular and mucosal melanoma are considered two different types of melanoma.  It's also very rare and happens independently of cutaneous melanoma.

Teodora

As a matter of fact you are 100% right.

I always thought since mucosal is a " wet tissue" cancer, ocular is similar.Actually, mucosal, ocular and cutaneous are 3 totally different  "animals".

"When melanoma occurs on the skin it is known as cutaneous melanoma; in the mucous membranes, it is know as mucosal melanoma, and when it occurs in the eye it is known as ocular melanoma.  Despite their common origins – all melanomas are ultimately cancers of the melanocytes – ocular, mucosal and cutaneous mucosal melanoma are separate diseases with different patterns of development and different clinical courses."

Teodora

Teodora

As a matter of fact you are 100% right.

I always thought since mucosal is a " wet tissue" cancer, ocular is similar.Actually, mucosal, ocular and cutaneous are 3 totally different  "animals".

"When melanoma occurs on the skin it is known as cutaneous melanoma; in the mucous membranes, it is know as mucosal melanoma, and when it occurs in the eye it is known as ocular melanoma.  Despite their common origins – all melanomas are ultimately cancers of the melanocytes – ocular, mucosal and cutaneous mucosal melanoma are separate diseases with different patterns of development and different clinical courses."

Teodora

Janner
                              Participant

Ocular and mucosal melanoma are considered two different types of melanoma.  It's also very rare and happens independently of cutaneous melanoma.

Teodora

Hi Jerry,

Doesn't ocular melanoma qualify as mucosal too?

Regarding specific permutations in mucosal, when discussing my slides being tested, Dr.Hodi was  very dismissive about the possibility to have NRAS or any other gene mutation /BRAF excluded  100%/, except the C-kit /if any at all/.

My impression is that they don't have high expectation for any  specific permutations being found  in mucosal  at all in most of the cases,and having the C-kit is  rather exception.Consider yourself lucky/smile/.

Teodora

Teodora

Jerry,

I just came across this atricle on Uveal /ocular/  Melanoma with Metastases to the Liver.

http://www.lafn.org/~bc534/OcularMelMets.htm 

If you can forward it   to her friend/her, they might find this information helpful.

Teodora

Teodora

Jerry,

I just came across this atricle on Uveal /ocular/  Melanoma with Metastases to the Liver.

http://www.lafn.org/~bc534/OcularMelMets.htm 

If you can forward it   to her friend/her, they might find this information helpful.

Teodora

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics