The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Can someone help me understand Spitz nevi?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Can someone help me understand Spitz nevi?

Participant

My 6 year old had a bright red, 1cm dome-shaped mole removed from her arm yesterday. The derm said “it looks like just a normal mole, could be a Spitz Nevus.” And that it would mostly like come back as “just a normal red mole.”

But is there such a thing as a “normal red mole” that’s not a Spitz? I’ve googled this obsessively (probably a mistake) and I haven’t seen any evidence that moles can be dark pink/red, even on a fair skinned, strawberry haired child like mine. It seems to me that a Spitz will be the most likely result of the biopsy…

Second question: is a “typical” Spitz easy to identify and distinguish from melanoma, and is it only the atypical one that are tricky? Or could even what looks like a “typical” Spitz actually be melanoma?

The derm says if it comes back as a Spitz, she will need to have a WLE. If a Spitz is benign, why would she need the WLE? I read about a case where a girl was diagnosed with a Spitz Nevus, had the WLE, and still died 3 years later from mestastic melanoma. 

How am I supposed to handle this? I’m so anxious and am making myself sick over this. 

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        MMH
        Participant

Hello to you. I know a bit about spitzoid, as I had one removed in August. My only advice at this point is to not get ahead of yourself. At this point you have no idea if it is a spitz. Further, if it is a spitz you have no idea what type. They are tricky and can range considerably so without a pathology report you will just spin in circles like I did/still do.  I know, easier said than done, but stay off the internet and wait for the pathology. If it is just a red mole then you will have driven yourself nuts for no reason.  Hang in there, the waiting is brutal, but chances are everything is fine.  All the best to you! 

Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics