The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

But you look fine

Forums Caregiver Community But you look fine

Participant
      I haven’t posted for awhile because I didnt want to post negatively on a board that provides so much good info for people battling melanoma.

My husband is battling an explosion of melanoma including the frontal and parietal lobes of the brain and has gone on hospice 11-23-16. With his current condition he gets confused easily and must stay pretty much on a single track mindset, thinking one thing at a time. He gets frustrated and irritated with anything else to the point that he is withdrawing and starting to avoid conversation with others…especially when others are aware of his situation but choose to ignore it. He asked me this evening “How can I get people to understand what I’m dealing with?” I have no answers. It’s easy for me to say “Just ignore them” but that answer is really no help. I can talk to the social worker at hospice or the cancer center about it but I wondered if anyone has any links for caregiver reading in a hospice situation they might share.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Charlie S
        Participant

Cathy,

A cancer support group, whether face to face or online , must be genuine to be relevant to be of any true value.

That includes the good, the bad and the ugly; so make no apologies for talking about the pragmatic aspects of end stage melanoma here.

Hospice should be offering you and your husband more support.  Do not be shy about stomping your foot up the chain of command there to get what you need.

The SOLE job of Hospice is to make end of life as comfortable as possible, respectfull and dignified for patient and family.

There is no link, but I can personally tell you that my girlfriend died in my arms from complications of melanoma a  bit more than ten years ago and was under hospice care.

Even up until the last minute when she was in the bedroom and others were in the living room , some were saying she looks like a million bucks while others were saying they just didn't get it…………..looks okay to them.

Tell Hospice how you feel and tell them you need more support…………………and of course, continue to reach out here.

It may not be of much help, but I really DO get what you and your husband are saying, and I really DO understand your frustration.

So go kick a little butt at Hospice.

Charlie S

Cathy M
            Participant
              Thanks Charlie S. I DO believe you understand and that’s a tremendous help. I’m also truly sorry for your loss. I’m a foot stomper from way back so Tuesday AM I’ll be asking questions and getting answers. We’ve been so realistic about this journey from the beginning … I just think some folks don’t want to go there. They want to keep life unruffled because they can in their world. The world of melanoma is a different place to be. Fighting it head on has been and will continue to be our only way to truly deal with it. Thanks again.
              Cathy M
              Participant
                Thanks Charlie S. I DO believe you understand and that’s a tremendous help. I’m also truly sorry for your loss. I’m a foot stomper from way back so Tuesday AM I’ll be asking questions and getting answers. We’ve been so realistic about this journey from the beginning … I just think some folks don’t want to go there. They want to keep life unruffled because they can in their world. The world of melanoma is a different place to be. Fighting it head on has been and will continue to be our only way to truly deal with it. Thanks again.
                Cathy M
                Participant
                Charlie S
                Participant

Cathy,

A cancer support group, whether face to face or online , must be genuine to be relevant to be of any true value.

That includes the good, the bad and the ugly; so make no apologies for talking about the pragmatic aspects of end stage melanoma here.

Hospice should be offering you and your husband more support.  Do not be shy about stomping your foot up the chain of command there to get what you need.

The SOLE job of Hospice is to make end of life as comfortable as possible, respectfull and dignified for patient and family.

There is no link, but I can personally tell you that my girlfriend died in my arms from complications of melanoma a  bit more than ten years ago and was under hospice care.

Even up until the last minute when she was in the bedroom and others were in the living room , some were saying she looks like a million bucks while others were saying they just didn't get it…………..looks okay to them.

Tell Hospice how you feel and tell them you need more support…………………and of course, continue to reach out here.

It may not be of much help, but I really DO get what you and your husband are saying, and I really DO understand your frustration.

Charlie S

Charlie S
                  Participant

Cathy,

Charlie S

blessd4x
                    Participant

I get that too.  Oh your husband looks good.  Mhm.. for stage IV.  How do I take that.  Yes, he still walks around, tries to be playful and interact with family.  But do you see him losing weight?  Do you see the rash from the opdivo?  Do you hear him wimper from his head hurting, his coughing, his joints hurting?  Do you see my bathroom that looks like a Pharmacy?  Do you see the look in his eyes each night?  Ya, he looks great.  Oh and one more customer that says Oh, Melanoma?  Just skin cancer.. I had several spots taken off.. I think I will punch them in the throat. 

Im sorry for what youre going through.  Youre not alone Love.

Prayers

R

blessd4x
                      Participant

I get that too.  Oh your husband looks good.  Mhm.. for stage IV.  How do I take that.  Yes, he still walks around, tries to be playful and interact with family.  But do you see him losing weight?  Do you see the rash from the opdivo?  Do you hear him wimper from his head hurting, his coughing, his joints hurting?  Do you see my bathroom that looks like a Pharmacy?  Do you see the look in his eyes each night?  Ya, he looks great.  Oh and one more customer that says Oh, Melanoma?  Just skin cancer.. I had several spots taken off.. I think I will punch them in the throat. 

Prayers

R

blessd4x
                        Participant

Prayers

R

Viewing 5 reply threads

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics