The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

bump under skin near premelanoma site

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community bump under skin near premelanoma site

Participant
      First off.. what does “pre-melanoma” mean?

Second, my husband just noticed a grape size bump under his skin near a spot that once had a pre-melanoma. It was removed but not in that big circle around it that they did on the main growth.

He finished ippy two months ago and just got a spot biopsied from his liver. They think it is melanoma so the plan is to go on opdivo when the patholgy comes back.

Will they have to do a big circle removal (wide area something) on this spot? Or are bumps under the skin next to the incision a typical thing?

I wish i knew more about cancer to understand what its going on.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Thandster
        Participant

If the pathology from the liver biopsy comes back as melanoma then they most likely to wouldn't do surgery to remove a lump. My oncologist doesn't even biopsy lumps under the skin. She says we need the Nivolumab and immune system to be focusing on the cancer in liver, lungs, brain etc… And if it works there, it will work on the lump (and so far it has). But a surgery would put added stress on the immune system potentially taking away from the immune system focus on the cancer. Wait and see what the liver biopsy shows.

good luck!

specka
            Participant
              He got the results back today. The liver lesion is melanoma and the oncologist said the bump is likely melanoma. He said he wanted to do a fine needle aspiration of it and to do radiation to the one on his back.

His theory is that radiation will help the keytruda attack both lesions. Is that a correct theory? I dont mean to second guess doctors, but if we didnt second guess the first doctor he saw, he may still be undiagnosed.

Marianne quinn
              Participant

Yes.,there is evidence that combining immunotherapy and radiation is beneficial .

Marianne quinn
                Participant

Yes.,there is evidence that combining immunotherapy and radiation is beneficial .

Marianne quinn
                  Participant

specka
                    Participant
                      He got the results back today. The liver lesion is melanoma and the oncologist said the bump is likely melanoma. He said he wanted to do a fine needle aspiration of it and to do radiation to the one on his back.

His theory is that radiation will help the keytruda attack both lesions. Is that a correct theory? I dont mean to second guess doctors, but if we didnt second guess the first doctor he saw, he may still be undiagnosed.

specka
                      Participant

Thandster
                      Participant

If the pathology from the liver biopsy comes back as melanoma then they most likely to wouldn't do surgery to remove a lump. My oncologist doesn't even biopsy lumps under the skin. She says we need the Nivolumab and immune system to be focusing on the cancer in liver, lungs, brain etc… And if it works there, it will work on the lump (and so far it has). But a surgery would put added stress on the immune system potentially taking away from the immune system focus on the cancer. Wait and see what the liver biopsy shows.

good luck!

Thandster
                        Participant

good luck!

ET-SF
                          Participant

We're new to this world of melanomas, and we've spent the past weeks scaling a very steep learning curve.  Among the treatment options we've studied is T-VEC.  I think if ET (my partner, who has the melanoma) had a tumor to inject, and if she were then stage IV, T-VEC would be a promising treatment approach.  That is, if you're not going to remove it, at least inject it and get it to work for you.  Maybe?  But again, we're newbies to this entire thing.

The bump under the skin does sound suspicious.  ET's path showed evidence of microscopic satellitosis, which means little clusters of melanoma cells that migrated some small distance (less than 2 cm by definition) from the tumor.  Maybe the lump your husband has near the incision developed from a microscopic satellite that developed beyond the margins of the initial wide area excision.

ET-SF
                            Participant

We're new to this world of melanomas, and we've spent the past weeks scaling a very steep learning curve.  Among the treatment options we've studied is T-VEC.  I think if ET (my partner, who has the melanoma) had a tumor to inject, and if she were then stage IV, T-VEC would be a promising treatment approach.  That is, if you're not going to remove it, at least inject it and get it to work for you.  Maybe?  But again, we're newbies to this entire thing.

The bump under the skin does sound suspicious.  ET's path showed evidence of microscopic satellitosis, which means little clusters of melanoma cells that migrated some small distance (less than 2 cm by definition) from the tumor.  Maybe the lump your husband has near the incision developed from a microscopic satellite that developed beyond the margins of the initial wide area excision.

ET-SF
                              Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics