The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Brand New to This – Help me please

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Brand New to This – Help me please

Participant

Hello ~  This is totally new to me and I am looking for answers, support, sanity, sleep, not all in that order.

Hello ~  This is totally new to me and I am looking for answers, support, sanity, sleep, not all in that order.

I am currently in the very beginning stages of my new life-  with Melanoma.  I had a strange mole on my back that was removed last week, got the "unfortunately its Melanoma"  telephone call on Friday.  By Monday, I was seen by a doctor in our local Cancer Institute (CINJ)  who really gave me a better outlook on things, but nonetheless, I am petrified.  I am going for a lymphoscintigraphy and for more surgery to take off more skin/tumor area and I will have a lovely scar on my back ( who really cares about that anyway).   I will take all the scars they can give me, but I want my life back.

Someone on here, please tell me I am going to get through this, because as of last night, my brain can't deal with this. Sleep is minimal, I can't turn it off. 

I will owe you the world if someone could just give me peace of mild. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Sherron
        Participant

Hi, maybe if you can give some more information regarding you diagnois, like what the pathology report says, you might get some responses and some help from  people.  Wishing you the very best.  I  know this can be very scary thing to have happen to you.  You have found a good support system.  We just need some more informationg.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim FOREVER

kbc123
            Participant

Thank you Sherron for responding.  What had happended is the posting came up two or three times?  Like I said, this is all new to me, I must have screwed something up when I posted ..Ugh.

I do have my path information on the other posting "Brand New to this…."  I can copy it over if you want me to..

Thanks for answering – I am getting lots and lots of info…

Kathy

kbc123
              Participant

Thank you Sherron for responding.  What had happended is the posting came up two or three times?  Like I said, this is all new to me, I must have screwed something up when I posted ..Ugh.

I do have my path information on the other posting "Brand New to this…."  I can copy it over if you want me to..

Thanks for answering – I am getting lots and lots of info…

Kathy

Sherron
              Participant

Hi, maybe if you can give some more information regarding you diagnois, like what the pathology report says, you might get some responses and some help from  people.  Wishing you the very best.  I  know this can be very scary thing to have happen to you.  You have found a good support system.  We just need some more informationg.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim FOREVER

kthekhal
                Participant

Hi,

As Sherron says, you should get to know more about your diagnosis (especially staging etc.) –

I was also treated at CINJ (I hope you mean Cancer Institute of New Jersey in New Brunswick).

I am Stage 3b (4 mm primary on left forearm, ulcerated, 2 lymph nodes with cancer !)

Had my WLE in Sep 2008 & LND in Oct 2008  (both done by Dr.Jonathan Lee) – NED since then  – just had my yearly  PET/CT scan yesterday at RWJ (Hamilton, NJ).

So, I have been NED for more than 2 years now, and there are quite a few resilient men & women on this board who have NED for more than 2 years with advanced Melanoma.

Will be glad to assist you in anyway to make you feel comfortable to fight this disease. I live in East Windosr ,NJ

EMAIL – [email protected]

Best Regards,

Kish

kbc123
                    Participant

East Windsor is right around the corner.  thank you for responding.  Yes I just went to CINJ in New Brunswick on Monday.  Dr. Goydos is my doctor treating me right now.  He set up a lymphoscintigraphy two weeks from now and then the wide excision surgery as well as lymph node removal.

I am comfortable with him.  Just scared of the diagnosis.  It helps to see people on here that have so much knowledge .  My Path report is on the other posting.  I will copy it and paste it over here if you dont find it. 

Thanks Kish

Kathy

kthekhal
                      Participant

Kathy,
                           If you are having lymphoscintigraphy 2 weeks from now, that means you are yet to be staged correctly.
                        Probably you will have the lymphoscintigraphy in the same facility where I had mine (in New Brunswick,NJ).
                        lymphoscintigraphy will give  clue to your oncologist  if a lymph node is affected with Melanoma.
                        And during the WLE , they will examine the nearest node affected – if it is NOT affected, you remain Stage 2 (and your survival rate is 98%  !!!)
                        So, until the WLE is done, just remain patient and calm (easier said than done  – but 'been there and done that !!').
                        Also, I practice Yogic breathing everyday (which helps immensely with relieving the stress).
                        By the way, I am an Asian Indian (from India ) living in the US since 1996 and my oncologist at CINJ told me that
                        I was the first Asian Indian he ever treated for Melanoma.

Regards,

Kish  

kthekhal
                        Participant

Kathy,
                             If you are having lymphoscintigraphy 2 weeks from now, that means you are yet to be staged correctly.
                          Probably you will have the lymphoscintigraphy in the same facility where I had mine (in New Brunswick,NJ).
                          lymphoscintigraphy will give  clue to your oncologist  if a lymph node is affected with Melanoma.
                          And during the WLE , they will examine the nearest node affected – if it is NOT affected, you remain Stage 2 (and your survival rate is 98%  !!!)
                          So, until the WLE is done, just remain patient and calm (easier said than done  – but 'been there and done that !!').
                          Also, I practice Yogic breathing everyday (which helps immensely with relieving the stress).
                          By the way, I am an Asian Indian (from India ) living in the US since 1996 and my oncologist at CINJ told me that
                          I was the first Asian Indian he ever treated for Melanoma.

Regards,

Kish  

kbc123
                          Participant

East Windsor is right around the corner.  thank you for responding.  Yes I just went to CINJ in New Brunswick on Monday.  Dr. Goydos is my doctor treating me right now.  He set up a lymphoscintigraphy two weeks from now and then the wide excision surgery as well as lymph node removal.

I am comfortable with him.  Just scared of the diagnosis.  It helps to see people on here that have so much knowledge .  My Path report is on the other posting.  I will copy it and paste it over here if you dont find it. 

Thanks Kish

Kathy

kthekhal
                          Participant

Hi,

As Sherron says, you should get to know more about your diagnosis (especially staging etc.) –

I was also treated at CINJ (I hope you mean Cancer Institute of New Jersey in New Brunswick).

I am Stage 3b (4 mm primary on left forearm, ulcerated, 2 lymph nodes with cancer !)

Had my WLE in Sep 2008 & LND in Oct 2008  (both done by Dr.Jonathan Lee) – NED since then  – just had my yearly  PET/CT scan yesterday at RWJ (Hamilton, NJ).

So, I have been NED for more than 2 years now, and there are quite a few resilient men & women on this board who have NED for more than 2 years with advanced Melanoma.

Will be glad to assist you in anyway to make you feel comfortable to fight this disease. I live in East Windosr ,NJ

EMAIL – [email protected]

Best Regards,

Kish

W.
                            Participant

Note: this is a duplicate thread.

The other thread with more answers is here: http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/brand-new-help-me-please-1

W.
                              Participant

Note: this is a duplicate thread.

The other thread with more answers is here: http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/brand-new-help-me-please-1

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics