The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Benign mole- margins

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Benign mole- margins

Participant
      Hi there,
      I know this is a silly question for this board, but does it matter if mole goes to margins if benign? I am annoyed my derm did too small punches and told me as she was doing them. She said she didn’t take margins and by then it was too late. She just called and said they’re both totally benign – not even mildly atypical but that went to margins. They’re on my back. I have history of mm in-situ (20 years ago)
      I said to her “oh so should I just keep an eye in case pigment comes back?” She said “you don’t even have to”
      I am strangely uneasy with it. however I have anxiety so trying to do unnecessary excisions. I will get taken off if pigment returns. my question is do i do anything NOW? : )

She also said we should just do deep shaves from now on.. this isn’t my regular derm by the way. I wanted to say “Or your can do appropriate sized punches” lol
      It kind of makes me not want to see her. I do see another derm i love next month so can ask him his opinion.

Thanks for any insight!

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        cancersnewnormal
        Participant
          I would definitely see another derm who you’re more comfortable with. Trust is huge. Having had a melanoma in situ (no matter how far back into your history), she really should be more careful to excise the entire mole in question. My derm has a rule that if it doesn’t fit the circumference of the punch in its entirety, we wedge resect. The fact that it came back as benign is good news, however, I would certainly keep an eye for any return of pigment. For NOW, there probably isn’t much that needs to be done….. assuming the punch that was done covered MOST of the mole in question, and wasn’t just a sampler of the center.
      Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics