The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Awaiting PETscan results after radiation treatment

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Awaiting PETscan results after radiation treatment

Participant

Hello,

I haven't been on in awhile and very nervous today.  My husband had 5 weeks of 2 treatments a day for lung cancer and melanoma.  After which we discovered his bovine aortic valve needs to now be replaced.  This has been an awful year.  We get the readout tomorrow of the PETscan from last week.  God willing there are no hot spots of melanoma or lung cancer. 

I am staying so positive, and the kids will ask how are you. Of course I say fine, but it requires me to continue to not think of "what ifs".  I guess it because tomorrow we will know, all the anxiety is kicking in for me.  So scared that they will find something.  That would compromise the valve in valve replacement trial procedure for him.

I guess my questions are, does radiation impact the calcification on a heart valve, or has anyone heard of that?  I will be asking the Radiation Onc tomorrow as well, but just curious.  Other question is has anyone experience with NOT taking the medical onc treatment after surgery?  My husband decided not to take it until after this PETscan.  Thinking if no spots, he would not take it. If there are spots, now sure how he can handle treatement with his valve.

Thanks, Mary

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        JerryfromFauq
        Participant

"  Which "medical onc treatment" is being looked into?

Here is an article that discuses  th eissue of the heart, valves aand radiation in cancer patients.

JerryfromFauq
          Participant

Here is an article that discuses  th eissue of the heart, valves aand radiation in cancer patients.

flvermonter
              Participant
                thank you for the link. I read through and it is so strange when you read it as without the radiation both cancer would have continued. it was his best shot and now it has damaged the valve.

his cancers were melanoma in the right with and lung cancer in the top tight lung. the radiation treat both as they were so close to each other. we go shortly o get the petscan results. so anxious and seems like i have a line that I dont cross to keep fears and anxiety at bay.

flvermonter
                Participant
                  thank you for the link. I read through and it is so strange when you read it as without the radiation both cancer would have continued. it was his best shot and now it has damaged the valve.

his cancers were melanoma in the right with and lung cancer in the top tight lung. the radiation treat both as they were so close to each other. we go shortly o get the petscan results. so anxious and seems like i have a line that I dont cross to keep fears and anxiety at bay.

flvermonter
                  Participant

JerryfromFauq
                  Participant

BrianP
                    Participant

Hey Mary,

Sorry you are having so many challenges put in front of you.  As if melanoma is enough of a challenge!  I'm curious if the onc has talked to you about a PD-1 trial.  I thought PD-1 is having success against both melanoma and lung cancer. 

I have no experience or knowledge about the heart valve and radiaiton.  Hope it's something they can fix quickly so you can get back on the attack against the cancer.

Brian

flvermonter
                        Participant

Great news from the Radiation Oncologist…. NED on the PETscan.  We are so happy to have good news for a change.  Now we can move on to the valve in valve trial next month in Atlanta. 

flvermonter
                          Participant

Great news from the Radiation Oncologist…. NED on the PETscan.  We are so happy to have good news for a change.  Now we can move on to the valve in valve trial next month in Atlanta. 

flvermonter
                            Participant

casagrayson
                              Participant

Hooray for good news!!

Susan

casagrayson
                                Participant

Hooray for good news!!

Susan

casagrayson
                                  Participant

Hooray for good news!!

Susan

JerryfromFauq
                                    Participant

WHOO{EE !!!!

JerryfromFauq
                                      Participant

WHOO{EE !!!!

JerryfromFauq
                                        Participant

WHOO{EE !!!!

BrianP
                                        Participant

Hey Mary,

Sorry you are having so many challenges put in front of you.  As if melanoma is enough of a challenge!  I'm curious if the onc has talked to you about a PD-1 trial.  I thought PD-1 is having success against both melanoma and lung cancer. 

I have no experience or knowledge about the heart valve and radiaiton.  Hope it's something they can fix quickly so you can get back on the attack against the cancer.

Brian

BrianP
                                          Participant

Hey Mary,

Brian

tasjacques
                                            Participant

So glad to read that the PET scans are clear. Just curious are they replacing the valve with open heart surgery? or the new technology which is TAVR (Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement, like laparoscopy?

Elenise

tasjacques
                                              Participant

So glad to read that the PET scans are clear. Just curious are they replacing the valve with open heart surgery? or the new technology which is TAVR (Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement, like laparoscopy?

Elenise

tasjacques
                                                Participant

Elenise

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics