The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Atypical mole after Melanoma

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Atypical mole after Melanoma

Participant

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with Stage 1 superficial spreading melanoma on my shoulder blade in 2015. 

I’ve been going to 3 monthly skin checks since.

I had my Dr remove a larger mole from my mid back 2 weeks ago, which I was notified the following day is atypical, lots of changes happening.. I head back today for wider margins.

Is this normal for Atypical moles? 

Any idea how much gets taken as a rule of thumb? I’m guessing not as much as when they took wider margins for my melanoma but just want to know what to expect.

I haven’t got the path report yet.

I’m located in Qld, Australia.

Thanks.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Paulajane
        Participant

I recently had a severely atypical spitzoid tumor removed by LWE and sentinel lymph nodes removed. They couldn’t definitively say it wasn’t melanoma so it was treated as stage 2 melanoma Breslow 2.2 no further treatment 3 month follow ups with melanoma clinic. 

Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics