The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Atypical Mole

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Atypical Mole

Participant

Hi All,

At the end of February I (M, 39) went for my first full body dermatology appointment and the doctor took off a mole which was then sent for a biopsy and came back severely atypical.  They removed more of my skin until they found clear margins.  During my monthly self check, my wife and I both thought we noticed a change in another mole. I went back this week and he looked at the identified mole on my lower back, upper butt and removed it.  He felt it looked fine symmetrically but felt there were two different colors in the mole. 

Given that I got a full body scan in February, is this likely something he missed during the intitial appointment or is it possible to a mole change that quickly?  Is there usually a correlation of once one atypical mole is found more will more than likely grow/change?

I had my wife look at the location he removed and it appears that there is a small dot or pigment remaining. Is this normal for a scrap examination or problematic that it is deeper than anticipatied?  

Thanks in advance!

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        MrG
        Participant

I had another atypical mole removed today.  That would be 3 in a year.  One was severely atypical, one was just a common mole and the small one (2.5mm) removed today.  Do you think the derm is more cautious about removing any atypical mole given I've had a severely atyplical one in the recent past or is it more of a judgement call by the doc?

Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics