The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

ASCO Update

Forums Ocular Melanoma Community ASCO Update

Keymaster

I am at ASCO and have a ton of meetings with various companies today and over the next couple of days.  I thought I would provide a couple of quick updates, but first a heads up.

Tomorrow morning data will be presented on a study combining ipilimumab (Yervoy) with the BMS anti-PD1 drug, nivolimab. I am hearing very positive things about this study, and the data may be the most important information for melanoma to come out of this meeting.  Please pay attention over the next day or two; I think the news on this will be positive.

I am at ASCO and have a ton of meetings with various companies today and over the next couple of days.  I thought I would provide a couple of quick updates, but first a heads up.

Tomorrow morning data will be presented on a study combining ipilimumab (Yervoy) with the BMS anti-PD1 drug, nivolimab. I am hearing very positive things about this study, and the data may be the most important information for melanoma to come out of this meeting.  Please pay attention over the next day or two; I think the news on this will be positive.

I met today with a company called Vical that has a drug called Allovectin.  This is a plasmid with an antigen that is injected into a melanoma lesion.  It serves to activate T-cells in the tumor area, which then get "trained" to attack tumor cells. They have a Phase III study compariing Allovectin with traditional chemotherapy.  The trial closed three years ago and the data is not yet mature.  Let me explain what this means.  In this kind of trial, the data is blinded until a certain number of "events" happen.  "Event" is a euphemism, in this case, for a patient who dies.  We know that patients on chemo survive about a year.  The fact that the data in this study has not yet matured means that a lot of patients are still alive after three years.  It is unlikely that many patients on the chemo are survived this long, which suggests that a fairly large number of patients treated with Allovectin are still alive after three years.  The company expects to have the data available by the end of September, so we will watch this closely.

I met also with a small biotech company with a drug that inhibits MET and VEGR.  Studies in melanoma are unclear, but it seems to be very effective in ocular (uveal) melanoma.

In a meeting with Prometheus we discussed current and future use of Interleukin 2.  IL2 curesabout 5% of patients with advanced melanoma, and has an overall response rate of about 15%.  A major challenge has been finding which patients are likely to respond.  They pointed to a small study showing very high response rates in patients whose tumor expresses a compound called PDL1.  Maybe some progress is being made in determining who is likely to respond.

I suppose the biggest news doesn't really relate to data, but more to the field in general.  This morning a poster session for melanoma.  This session has people with large posters (about 3 feet by 5 feet) stuck on bulletin boards and reporting news in different cancer fields.  In the past the melanoma poster session has been small and poorly attended.  Today they had at least five full rows of presentation–literally dozens–and the aisles were packed with doctors looking over the progress.  This, to me, shows how rapidly the field is moving foward.

I will try to report more tomorrow.

Tim–MRF

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        out4air
        Participant
          Really great timely information. Can’t wait to see what you post tomorrow.

Thank you so much for your interest and time to post here.

out4air
          Participant

out4air
            Participant

POW
              Participant

Tim, thank you for the succinct but highly informative post. It must be fascinating to see these new therapies being born and wondering how they will fare with time and further testing.

I also appreciate your observations about the melanoma poster session. Being a scientist myself and having attended large scientific conferences, I know exactly what you mean when you say that you can SEE melanoma research coming into the limelight. The more scientists and physicians become intrigued and excited by the new research, the more good minds we will have attacking the problem. Great news all around! 

POW
                Participant

Tim, thank you for the succinct but highly informative post. It must be fascinating to see these new therapies being born and wondering how they will fare with time and further testing.

I also appreciate your observations about the melanoma poster session. Being a scientist myself and having attended large scientific conferences, I know exactly what you mean when you say that you can SEE melanoma research coming into the limelight. The more scientists and physicians become intrigued and excited by the new research, the more good minds we will have attacking the problem. Great news all around! 

POW
                  Participant

BrianP
                    Participant

Thanks so much Tim.  Look forward to reading your next update!

Brian

BrianP
                      Participant

Brian

BrianP
                        Participant

Brian

Tamils
                          Participant

Thanks, Tim!  Can you mention which biotech company and what drug it is that has shown effectiveness in OM?

Tamils
                            Participant

Thanks, Tim!  Can you mention which biotech company and what drug it is that has shown effectiveness in OM?

Tamils
                              Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics