The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Any more red heads in the GSK BRAF/MEK trial? Here is why I ask…

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Any more red heads in the GSK BRAF/MEK trial? Here is why I ask…

• This topic is empty.
    As I approach completing three years in this trial I am developing wild type melanoma on my chest and face. I have had six knife fights since Ausust getting rid of it while it is still in situ. The speculation is that the BRAF at V600 E has been acting as a governor of a cassette of downstream genes that keep them in check, but once the drugs took over the BRAF, and inhibited it, it caused the downstream grouping to fire up wild type melanoma. This is not happening with my non-redhead cohorts. There is a hypothesis that since my red haired genes are not recessive, but active, it only affects red heads.

The rest are not developing this wild type melanoma. I would like to know if this is happening to other red heads in the trial. The question to be answered is whether or not the BRAF has returned to normal, and if so, by stopping the inhibitors, would it again start to govern the downstream gene grouping that is causing the wild type melanoma, and shut it down. Isn't it a grand thing to be part of this cutting edge of knowledge? I feel so fortunate to still be here and have my primary BRAF positive cancer to remain in check so long, but maybe it is time for an experiment within the experiment and see what happens if I stop the meds. I might run out of skin to stretch if this goes on too long!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics