The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

After the derm but before biopsy results…trying to get some odds.

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community After the derm but before biopsy results…trying to get some odds.

Participant

Yesterday, I went to the dermatologist to look at a nasty "mole" on my thigh. He looked at it, did a partial excision for biopsy and basically said: "I suppose I could be wrong, but I'm almost sure that's melanoma and it's very thick. Once you go over 4 mm it really doesn't matter, and this is definitely over 4 mm. We'll put a rush on this, and my guess is we'll send you down to [local big hospital with cancer center], and they'll do a full excision and test what's called a 'sentinel node' and other nearby nodes to see if it has spread."

So I'm waiting on the biopsy and just learning about melanoma while I wait. The Derm didn't struck me as a cavalier guy, so I'm thinking he feels pretty confident in his diagnosis–though I obviously hope he's wrong.

So what I'm trying to get a feel for (and can't find anywhere) is what percentage of "thick" melanomas (assuming for a second that's what it is) end up being Stage 3 or Stage 4? I've had some family members and close friends with cancer, so I'm well aware that "every case is different" and all that, but I'm an analytical type, and I just want to get a sense of my odds. We have to wait on the biopsy results, and then (presumably) go down and have the nodes tested, so we're still a good number of days away from finding out whether it's spread IN MY CASE, but I just want to get a sense of what the likelihood might be. 

55 y/o WM, fair skin, red hair, blue eyed, but no family history of melanoma. Anyone know where I might find the percentages I'm looking for?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

First of all let me start by saying I AM SO SORRY!! I am sorry on behalf of the mindless derm that created unnecessary anxiety in you. This is probably one of my biggest pet peeves in the medical world… there is NO WAY he can say for sure that was melanoma, and he absolutely should never had even said the word melanoma, let alone mentioning sentinel lymph node biopsy. Wow. 

I don't know the statistics you are looking for… I had a 1.9mm mole and I am now stage 4. I know someone who had a 16mm mole and is stage 2. It varies greatly and I don't think there is any hard data to give you on that. Best thing you can do now is stay busy and stay off searching about melanoma, because for one thing, you don't know if you have it. And, you don't know all the pathological information that would be important in finding more useful information about your situation. 

Hang in there,

Jimchief
            Participant

Jenn–Thanks for the info! I'm admittedly fairly clueless, but he just "seemed so sure" that I wondered if there was some way to obviously eyeball it. Thanks for the good advice. I think I'll try to focus on "wait and see"!!

AvaL
            Participant

Hi Jim chief, This time in between initial biopsy and diagnosis is shitty for sure. Sorry you're going through this. 

My hubby was told his was melanoma befor biopsy and the derm was correct. But his did look exactly like the typical melanoma. I really don't think they can tell for sure how deep it is though. I have a feeling they thought hubby's was deep, we both did too going from the look of it. Turned out to be 2.3 so deep enough but not the >4mm. We were actually please derm gave us heads up, it I see where Jenn is coming from with the potential for unnecessary worry. 

I guess what I'm saying is even the most experienced derma can't tell how deep it is without the pathology. The stats at mo are mostly outdated as there's tons of advances since 2011 for stage 4 with people living longer and some going to no evidence of disease. 

You'll get through this initial awful part and once u have answers and a plan based on pathology you will feel much better. Keep busy if u can before then x

Jimchief
                Participant

Ava–Thanks for the good advice! I guess my impression was that my Derm also thought it looked "classic," but even made the point to say: "You know melanoma is the 'bad' kind of skin cancer" which made me think he'd have to be fairly sure before going down that road. I'll take your advice to keep busy. Thanks for the help!!

NicholePhillips
                Participant

So sorry you are going through all this worrying. I do think it was inappropriate for your dermatologist to scare you like that. He gave you way too much info. From experience the biopsy will tell you if its melanoma but to truly know anything else it would need to be removed. Then the dr truly knows the depth and pathology. There is nothing fast when it comes to the full diagnosis. 

Jimchief
                    Participant

Nichole– Sounds like the consensus is that the Derm spoke way too soon. I think I'll take your advise to let the pathology and full biopsy really tell the story. Thanks again for the support!

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics