The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Advice on discolored skin?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Advice on discolored skin?

Participant

Hi. Sorry to be here when everyone is fighting hard battles but I’m having a minor episode and have no place to turn right now. I just noticed this tan oval on my back last week. I think I got a sunburn in that exact same area but it wasn’t just an oval burn it was a wider area. And at the end of May. Wouldn’t it have been gone by now? I was careful with sunscreen but some wore off and I did t reapply well enough  

Does this seem like amelanotic melanoma? No itching or any surface changes other than the brown patch. It’s really faint in certain lights. Really scared, I’m sorry. No skin cancer history. Pic below, it’s the oval above that darker freckle

http://tinypic.com/r/vshqfo/9

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

So amelanotic melanoma doesn't' have any color – usually pink or skin colored but not tan.  And it doesn't look like melanoma at all to my untrained eyes.  This looks more like a birth mark or a solar lentigo or something along those lines.  It reminds me of a mark on my skin that I have always assumed to be a light birthmark.  You have two options:  1) watch it for change or 2) biopsy.  No one can diagnose this by just looking at a picture.  So if it concerns you, see a doctor.  That's the only answer.

abbynormal
            Participant

Thank you. I broke down and went to see my dermatologist. She said it looks more like a birth mark or post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, which was possible if I’d gotten burned there. I appreciate your advice. 

kellylizzz
              Participant

Interesting! My amelanotic melanoma was (is) mostly pink, red, and sherbertish yellowish colored. There was a small purple spot too that looked like a vein sort of. Is that yellowish color considered skin colored? 
                Here it is before any biopsies had been done: https://i.imgur.com/YrgAqND.jpg
                And here it is two days ago: https://i.imgur.com/JjUloYY.jpg

laurakoco
              Participant

Hi there! Really the only way to know what it is is to go to your dermatologist as soon as possible. It’s good you are keeping track of your skin. Best of luck.

abbynormal
                  Participant

Thank you. I was lucky and got in to see her yesterday. She wasn’t concerned at all. 

mwang122
                  Participant

I have one look exactly like that, I don’t know when I had it, maybe 5-10 years. But it was not a concern to my dermatologist at all. 

abbynormal
                      Participant

Thank you. Mine said the same thing, that it didn’t look like anything to be concerned about. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics