The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

A new wrinkle

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community A new wrinkle

Participant

Over the past year or so, after my melanoma diagnosis last May, my husband who is 84 and a confirmed sun-worshipper all of his life, has been having some basal and squamus cell carcinomas removed from his forehead.  We were thankful they weren't more dangerous, altho he felt disfigured (the scars are very small and not very noticiable but they bothered him).  Yesterday he went to his dermatologist for a follow up from the most recent removal.  He did not tell me that three weeks ago he had noticed an odd mark on his left thigh, but knowing he would see the doc, he wasn't too concerned.  The doc took one look and said that's not squamas and wanted my husband to see a general surgeon.  Fortunately, he referred N to the same surgeon who had done my WLE so N knows him.  

The complication is that due to a heart condition my husband N is on coumadin a blood thinner.  The last time they had him off of it for a colonoscopy in 2011 he had a stroke, a mild one, but it left his speech impaired.  When he needed a colonoscopy a few years later, they hospitalized him and managed the blood thinner in a different manner with no problems.  Now he was told he'd have to be off coumadin for 4 days.  We don't know if that's because of a biopsy or an in-office excision.  the dermatologist left the office in a hurry, according to N, as if he didn't want to tell him he had cancer.  

i guess right now all we can do is consult with the cardiologist who oversees the coumadin and the surgeon who will determine the procedure.  Of course, we don't want to go thru stopping the coumadin twice if we don't have to as not only is it potentially life-threatening but stressful as hell.  

I've read on this forum and other melanoma sites that one can't tell by looking whether or not a lesion is melamona, but I've looked at images and N's spot is suspicious, more than mine was.  It's an assymetrical circle with one side kind of pink and the other like a crescent moon kind of white/gray crusty.  It's about the size of a little finger nail.  It's on the front of his upper thigh.  I know I'm worrying before we even know what to worry about, but given my experience where my mole had been on my shoulder forever and didn't look like anything other than a mole except it itched and bleed sometimes and I never once thought it was skin cancer, now I'm much more aware of what could happen.  And N is 84, heart condition, COPD, blood thinners, and could potentially need lymph node removals from groin which would impede his mobility for. while.  A more complicated situation than mine.

In the it doesn't matter category, it seems unfair both husband and wife should have to face skin cancer within a year of each other.  I've hardly gotten used to living with my own anxieties and have put off getting a care team in place due to denial.  Now I need to get it together to support him calmly and with a focus on his experience which will probably be completely different from mine.  In some ways that will be a head game.

He sees his GP today and hopes to see his cardiologist on a drop-in to see if he can coordinate with the surgeon.  His appointment with the surgeon is next Wed.  I remind myself that doesn't mean we have to immediately stop the coumadin.  We can reschedule if we don't have time to get that part done right.  But first I am scared of the risk of stroke, and then I am scared of the biopsy results, and then of course I am scared of the surgery and risk of coumadin again.

Long story as I'm prone to, but if anyone one has gone thru this themselves or with a loved one, I'd appreciate hearing your stories.  I also wonder if at 84 N's high risk of stroke when messing with coumadin outweighs the risk of possible melanoma.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  

By the way, to update my first post from a few weeks ago, the spot on my inner lip has darkened.  I have to wait 5 weeks for the dermatologist, but I do have one now and I also have a melanoma oncologist appointment in early Sept.  This forum and those who responded to my post encouraged me to climb out of my cave.  THank you!

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Seborrheic keratosis can look a lot like melanoma and are often found on older people. But as you said, you can't diagnose by just looking.  Most SKs can be easy to identify if you know what to look for (derm).  However there are always those lesions that require a biopsy to confirm any suspicion.   My Dad had so many SKs on his back I'm surprised that his derm actually found melanoma.  He was diagnosed at age 81 with a stage II melanoma.  He did a WLE of the lesion and nothing more.  Later, it returned to lymph node under his arm and we cherry-picked that under a local.  Preserving quality of life over major invasive procedures.  Melanoma finally took my Dad at age 89, but it was a slow growing beast for him and it wasn't until the last 6 months that his quality of life was seriously compromised.  That is how he chose to fight it.

Janner
            Participant

As a side note, my mother also developed melanoma but her's was caught at  in situ/stage 0.  I am adopted, but have had 3 melanoma primaries.  I had all of mine before either parent did so I knew all about it by time they were diagnosed.

momsmole
              Participant

Wow, so even tho you were not biologically related to your parents, all three of you had melanoma.  So not so unusual for husbands and wives.  Somehow that makes me feel less victimized.  It's just random genetics.  I'm sorry about your own cancer experience but at least it was helpful to your folks when they had to go thru it.  I feel better able to be detached from my situation and be present for my husband now.  You have helped so much, and of course it heps that he's not so shocked and scared today, too.  I hope for the best for you and your family!!

momsmole
                Participant

I very much appreciate your response.  Also am very sorry about your father.  It sounds as if he made his own decisions about how to face his skin lesions and ultimate melanoma.  I'm sure that was a source of comfort for him and probably for you, too.  My husband's GP today told him he just needed to tell the surgeon that he could not stop his Coumadin and the surgeon would work around that.  Why the dermatologist didn't advise N of that I don't know.  He sure scared us, perhaps unnessecarily.  We don't have to face the stroke risk at this time.  I'm reassured at your mention of SKs which could be a likely possibility as opposed to jumping on the melanoma train.  Sharing your story has relieved my mind.  Thank you!!

CindyJ
                Participant

My mother who is 79 is also on Coumadin. She has Afib and a pacemaker. She's had to go off Coumadin several times with no problems, thank goodness. But I wanted to mention when the dermatologist removed her "unknown thing at the time" on the bottom of her foot for a biopsy, he said she'd be fine on the blood thinner as they have ways to clot her blood on the surface. Best Wishes.

momsmole
                    Participant

So glad that your mom did well.  And thank you for the information that there are ways to clot blood on the surface.  Once again, I'm beginning to be ticked off at the dermatologist who left my husband with so much anxiety.  The doctor could have taken a few extra minutes to address these concerns.  If not for this forum, I'm sure N and I wouldbe stressing like crazy!!  I think I'll lobby for a new dermatologist.  Hope your mom continues to do well.

Viewing 1 reply thread
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics