The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

A little paranoid after having a melanoma removed.

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community A little paranoid after having a melanoma removed.

Participant

About three months ago I had noticed a small dime-sized red mark on my right side / buttock area.  At first I simply dismissed it as a bug bite but noticed that it wasn't going away. It didn't grow, but didn't shrink either and looked harmless enough, it hadn't scaled over at all.  I scheduled an appointment with a dermatologist and they removed the lesion and did a biopsy. On the breslow scale it was only .48 in depth so they did not do any lymph node biopsies.

They called me back and told me it was a superficial melanoma and that it was very good that I caught it early. A few days later I went back in they surgically removed the recommended area around the original lesion. 

It required 10 stitches, but it was a painless procedure and it's now healing well. I had the top stitches taken out a couple weeks ago.

I will now be going back every three months for the time being to get a physical exam and skin examination.

I guess I'm just paranoid now, I'm not so much worried about every little mark on my skin, but I worry about aches and pains in other areas being cancer now.  Sort of the opposite of worrying about the surface lesion spreading, I'm starting to worry the cancer was somewhere else and showed itself on the surface by way of this melanoma…

Should I have any other tests done like CT or PET scans to be sure or is that just being a hypochondriac.  It doesn't help my mom always worked for doctors her whole life, I'm always trying to be proactive which is good, but not when you obsess over something.

Thanks,

Matt

Viewing 22 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

I think what you're feeling is absolutely normal.  I felt the same way, every spot looked suspicious to me.  A CT scan would not really be clinically called for with your pathology (unless you were having symptoms), it would not show microscopic disease anyway, and it's a lot of radiation so balance the risk for the benefit.  Having said that, sometimes getting a baseline is not a terrible idea.  They are also expensive, and insurance may not cover it.

JC
          Participant

I think what you're feeling is absolutely normal.  I felt the same way, every spot looked suspicious to me.  A CT scan would not really be clinically called for with your pathology (unless you were having symptoms), it would not show microscopic disease anyway, and it's a lot of radiation so balance the risk for the benefit.  Having said that, sometimes getting a baseline is not a terrible idea.  They are also expensive, and insurance may not cover it.

JC
            Participant

nnhood
              Participant

Thanks for the reply, I might talk with my primary care doctor or maybe the dermatologist that I went to.  I do realize the scan is added radiation and don't want to do it if it's not necessary.

So a CT scan would be used at this point and then a PET scan if anything was found?  I did have a recent CBC and chest x-ray which was normal.

Thanks,

Matt

POW
                Participant

I agree. Your reaction is quite normal. After a scare like that it's almost impossible not to put yourself under a magnifying glass and wonder and worry about every little ache and pain and bump and bruise. Having a parent in the medical profession can make things worse because you are so used to getting immediate and, if necessary, expert medical attention for every possible ailment.

Both of my husband's parents were physicians as were several uncles and cousins. When he was diagnosed with melanoma in situ he went through a very anxious period for a year or so. But eventually, when nothing bad happened he started to relax again. He still remains vigilant, uses sunscreen and gets frequent skin checks but he takes it all in stride now. Trust that with time your fear will recede, too. 

POW
                  Participant

I agree. Your reaction is quite normal. After a scare like that it's almost impossible not to put yourself under a magnifying glass and wonder and worry about every little ache and pain and bump and bruise. Having a parent in the medical profession can make things worse because you are so used to getting immediate and, if necessary, expert medical attention for every possible ailment.

Both of my husband's parents were physicians as were several uncles and cousins. When he was diagnosed with melanoma in situ he went through a very anxious period for a year or so. But eventually, when nothing bad happened he started to relax again. He still remains vigilant, uses sunscreen and gets frequent skin checks but he takes it all in stride now. Trust that with time your fear will recede, too. 

POW
                    Participant

nnhood
                      Participant

Thanks POW! So nice to have others who've been through similar situations.

sbrooks90
                        Participant

Hey Matt,

I understand your paranoia… I am like that now with every suspicious mole I have on my body. I think the best thing you can do now is just get regular check ups with your dermatologist and be vigilant with the sunscreen etc.

Best of luck,

Samuel

sbrooks90
                          Participant

Hey Matt,

I understand your paranoia… I am like that now with every suspicious mole I have on my body. I think the best thing you can do now is just get regular check ups with your dermatologist and be vigilant with the sunscreen etc.

Best of luck,

Samuel

sbrooks90
                            Participant

Hey Matt,

Best of luck,

Samuel

hbecker
                              Participant

Matt,

My husband has done a vaccine trial, and now we're in the "watch and wait" stage. It's frustrating, no question, not being able to say this is the end of it. I think the best thing that gives me comfort (and maybe him as well) is that he is followed closely by a dermatologist and an oncologist every few months, so if he has a recurrence we are most likely to find it early enough to treat with success (we hope). Go to your follow-up appointments religiously, watch out for anything suspicious going on, cover up in the sun, and enjoy life.

You might want to get in touch with Janner about her Stage I group – that might be a good place for you to connect with others who caught their melanomas early. Your situation is probably more similar to theirs than those of us here dealing with high-risk or advanced disease.

Wishing you the best —

~Hazel

hbecker
                                Participant

Matt,

My husband has done a vaccine trial, and now we're in the "watch and wait" stage. It's frustrating, no question, not being able to say this is the end of it. I think the best thing that gives me comfort (and maybe him as well) is that he is followed closely by a dermatologist and an oncologist every few months, so if he has a recurrence we are most likely to find it early enough to treat with success (we hope). Go to your follow-up appointments religiously, watch out for anything suspicious going on, cover up in the sun, and enjoy life.

You might want to get in touch with Janner about her Stage I group – that might be a good place for you to connect with others who caught their melanomas early. Your situation is probably more similar to theirs than those of us here dealing with high-risk or advanced disease.

Wishing you the best —

~Hazel

hbecker
                                  Participant

Matt,

Wishing you the best —

~Hazel

Janner
                                    Participant

It's easy and normal to be paranoid – especially in your first year.  Scans do not show microscopic disease and it is extremely unlikely your very early lesion has spread anywhere. Scans at this stage mostly show benign beasties (false positives)… and then those must be checked out 'just in case'.  Typically means more scans, more worries, and more anxiety for absolutely no cancer.   "Be vigilant, not paranoid".  Scans for your stage are in the paranoid category unless you have serious symptoms,   😉  As for aches and pains, here's what I suggest you do.  Think of the ache or pain and think if it is something you would have seen your doctor about PRIOR to melanoma.  Chances are, you'll say no.  I kind of follow a two week rule.  If something shows up on my skin, or something is bothering me that's a bit out of the ordinary, I give myself two weeks.  If it isn't showing improvement or is getting worse, time for a doctor.  But I try to give my body a chance to take care of normal stuff.  You'd be surprised at what will go away on its own if you let it!

Hang in there,

Janner

Janner
                                      Participant

It's easy and normal to be paranoid – especially in your first year.  Scans do not show microscopic disease and it is extremely unlikely your very early lesion has spread anywhere. Scans at this stage mostly show benign beasties (false positives)… and then those must be checked out 'just in case'.  Typically means more scans, more worries, and more anxiety for absolutely no cancer.   "Be vigilant, not paranoid".  Scans for your stage are in the paranoid category unless you have serious symptoms,   😉  As for aches and pains, here's what I suggest you do.  Think of the ache or pain and think if it is something you would have seen your doctor about PRIOR to melanoma.  Chances are, you'll say no.  I kind of follow a two week rule.  If something shows up on my skin, or something is bothering me that's a bit out of the ordinary, I give myself two weeks.  If it isn't showing improvement or is getting worse, time for a doctor.  But I try to give my body a chance to take care of normal stuff.  You'd be surprised at what will go away on its own if you let it!

Hang in there,

Janner

Janner
                                        Participant

Hang in there,

Janner

JerryfromFauq
                                          Participant

Matt, bet a PET scan would make you even  more paranoid!  PET scans do not show cancer.  PET scans show Glucose collecting locations.  Have many false positives and false negatives.  I know my knee and ankle were smashed up in a wreck in Germany.  I know my neck was broken in a car wreck in the US.  I know I have a steel plate holding a broken arm together.  I know I have had oral surgery. I know my neck was broken by a careless driver in the US.  Glucose collects in all those locations and others as well as in tumors.  PET scans really just show pointers to be further examined, i.e.. starting, points.  PET's do not give exact measurements of suspect tumors.  CT scans provide close measurements so that growth can be determined (and expose one to lower amounts of radiation).   With the info you have provided us, statistically you have a greater than 90% chance of being fine.  That said, Do be vigilant!  If additional Lumps appear in the general area or if the groin lymph nodes get tender, this should be checked out.  IN your case red lumps are something to watch for (my tumors are very Black, as you know, not every bodies are.)  I know, easier said than done,, I know  The first year will be the hardest…

Hi, I'm stage IV without being NED (No evidence of Disease on scans).  Had stage four tumors since 2007.  Don't thnk that means I dead!  If so it's only been a few Docs that have said I am.  Wife hasn't said so yet!wink

JerryfromFauq
                                            Participant

Matt, bet a PET scan would make you even  more paranoid!  PET scans do not show cancer.  PET scans show Glucose collecting locations.  Have many false positives and false negatives.  I know my knee and ankle were smashed up in a wreck in Germany.  I know my neck was broken in a car wreck in the US.  I know I have a steel plate holding a broken arm together.  I know I have had oral surgery. I know my neck was broken by a careless driver in the US.  Glucose collects in all those locations and others as well as in tumors.  PET scans really just show pointers to be further examined, i.e.. starting, points.  PET's do not give exact measurements of suspect tumors.  CT scans provide close measurements so that growth can be determined (and expose one to lower amounts of radiation).   With the info you have provided us, statistically you have a greater than 90% chance of being fine.  That said, Do be vigilant!  If additional Lumps appear in the general area or if the groin lymph nodes get tender, this should be checked out.  IN your case red lumps are something to watch for (my tumors are very Black, as you know, not every bodies are.)  I know, easier said than done,, I know  The first year will be the hardest…

Hi, I'm stage IV without being NED (No evidence of Disease on scans).  Had stage four tumors since 2007.  Don't thnk that means I dead!  If so it's only been a few Docs that have said I am.  Wife hasn't said so yet!wink

JerryfromFauq
                                              Participant

nnhood
                                                Participant

Thank you all for your advice!  I take it to heart and I wish you all the best, some of you have really been through the wringer, I pray for the best outcomes for everyone I truly do.

Matt

lou2
                                                  Participant

Wow, Jerry, if I were you, I would be paranoid about cars at this point.

JerryfromFauq
                                                    Participant

Cars or horses?

nnhood
                                                      Participant

Thanks for the reply, I might talk with my primary care doctor or maybe the dermatologist that I went to.  I do realize the scan is added radiation and don't want to do it if it's not necessary.

So a CT scan would be used at this point and then a PET scan if anything was found?  I did have a recent CBC and chest x-ray which was normal.

Thanks,

Matt

nnhood
                                                        Participant

Thanks,

Matt

nnhood
                                                          Participant

nnhood
                                                            Participant

nnhood
                                                              Participant

Thank you all for your advice!  I take it to heart and I wish you all the best, some of you have really been through the wringer, I pray for the best outcomes for everyone I truly do.

Matt

nnhood
                                                                Participant

Matt

lou2
                                                                  Participant

lou2
                                                                    Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                                      Participant

Cars or horses?

JerryfromFauq
                                                                        Participant

Cars or horses?

Viewing 22 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics