The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Things tale a scary turn…possible mucosal melanoma

Forums Mucosal Melanoma Community Things tale a scary turn…possible mucosal melanoma

Participant
      Going to see ONC SURG for first time to discuss left neck posterior dissection for T2 N1 M0 lymph node removed last Thursday. Reviewd pTh report to be ready — report reads too much like textbook mucosal melanoma for my comfort.

Anyone have any questions I should be sure to cover tomorrow? Articles/websites to read? Good non-denominational prayers?

Thanks.

Going to see ONC SURG for first time to discuss left neck posterior dissection for T2 N1 M0 lymph node removed last Thursday. Reviewd pTh report to be ready — report reads too much like textbook mucosal melanoma for my comfort.

Anyone have any questions I should be sure to cover tomorrow? Articles/websites to read? Good non-denominational prayers?

Thanks.

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        MaryMary73
        Participant

I will keep you in my prayers

MaryMary73
          Participant

I will keep you in my prayers

Becky
            Participant

What is it in the path report that leads you to the mucosal melanoma? Just curious. My son's primary was on  his tongue…and so mucosal by defintition?…but that was never said in ay of the reports.

He had neck dissection July 09…finished a year of interferon..feels great..waiting on Pet scan results from yesterdays scans.

Websites/articles will just scare you. I will send one of those non-denominational prayers!

Becky

Dynasysman
                Participant
                  Report is in car so I don’t forget it in the morning, but descriptions of cells looked like the ones i read in a pathology textbook. That said, I took a clean PET-CT scan the day after the lymph node was removed. What I read says that mucosal melanomas are usually large and detectable before they progress to a lymph node. If I have one, it is small enough to escape visual detection (from my ENT) and also the PET-CT scan. Oh, heck, guess I will know more soon enough.
                  Dynasysman
                  Participant
                    Report is in car so I don’t forget it in the morning, but descriptions of cells looked like the ones i read in a pathology textbook. That said, I took a clean PET-CT scan the day after the lymph node was removed. What I read says that mucosal melanomas are usually large and detectable before they progress to a lymph node. If I have one, it is small enough to escape visual detection (from my ENT) and also the PET-CT scan. Oh, heck, guess I will know more soon enough.
                  Becky
                  Participant

What is it in the path report that leads you to the mucosal melanoma? Just curious. My son's primary was on  his tongue…and so mucosal by defintition?…but that was never said in ay of the reports.

He had neck dissection July 09…finished a year of interferon..feels great..waiting on Pet scan results from yesterdays scans.

Websites/articles will just scare you. I will send one of those non-denominational prayers!

Becky

Dynasysman
                    Participant
                      This is why med students never are allowed to diagnose: they red the words and miss the point. ONC SURG this morning said something like, “Path reports are often misleading. We’ll do endoscopy next week, but you’re too young and appear too healthy for me to seriously consider mucosal…

Left posterior neck dissection set for 12/7. What do you think might be the surgery falling on Peqrl Harbor Day? :>)

Dynasysman
                      Participant
                        This is why med students never are allowed to diagnose: they red the words and miss the point. ONC SURG this morning said something like, “Path reports are often misleading. We’ll do endoscopy next week, but you’re too young and appear too healthy for me to seriously consider mucosal…

Left posterior neck dissection set for 12/7. What do you think might be the surgery falling on Peqrl Harbor Day? :>)

Dynasysman
                        Participant

Becky
                            Participant

Not to be a downer, but my young (just beofre his 21st bday) healthy son was dx with mucosal melanoma. But..from all the research I have done..mucosal is not necessarily more agressive, its just that it is usually caught at a later stage than cutaneous.

I try not to look at the stats too much. Good luck with the neck dissection, recovery was not too bad for son.

Becky
                              Participant

Not to be a downer, but my young (just beofre his 21st bday) healthy son was dx with mucosal melanoma. But..from all the research I have done..mucosal is not necessarily more agressive, its just that it is usually caught at a later stage than cutaneous.

I try not to look at the stats too much. Good luck with the neck dissection, recovery was not too bad for son.

Dynasysman
                              Participant

Viewing 7 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics