The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

food for recovery

Forums General Melanoma Community food for recovery

Participant

need for suggestens for recovery from surgery

need for suggestens for recovery from surgery

Viewing 27 reply threads
    • Replies
        lovingwifedeb
        Participant
          You are the first since I’ve been “haunting” this discussion board who has been brave enough to talk about diet. Good for you to ask and I hope there are several out there that are aware that diet plays a very important role in this battle that “we” are fighting?

The golden rule? Eat food that is the most unprocessed that you can… Lots of raw vegetables! No enriched white flour! Did you know that cancer LOVES SUGAR?

There is lots of opinions and lots of books to read but we are fighting to get my husband’s immune system back on track through eating “green” & reading food labels…

I’m hoping it works…

Deb
          lovingwife to Bob, stage 3c

lovingwifedeb
          Participant
            You are the first since I’ve been “haunting” this discussion board who has been brave enough to talk about diet. Good for you to ask and I hope there are several out there that are aware that diet plays a very important role in this battle that “we” are fighting?

The golden rule? Eat food that is the most unprocessed that you can… Lots of raw vegetables! No enriched white flour! Did you know that cancer LOVES SUGAR?

There is lots of opinions and lots of books to read but we are fighting to get my husband’s immune system back on track through eating “green” & reading food labels…

I’m hoping it works…

Deb

washoegal
            Participant

If you are speaking solely about recovery from surgery the best thing you can do is rest..rest…rest.  Then slowly rebuild your strength.  Eat healthy, whole foods as Deb says. 

If you are speaking of rebuilding your immune system I am tadding Vit. C, D3 and Tumerac.  All are supposed to help and none are harmful as long as you don't seriosly mega-dose.

washoegal
              Participant

If you are speaking solely about recovery from surgery the best thing you can do is rest..rest…rest.  Then slowly rebuild your strength.  Eat healthy, whole foods as Deb says. 

If you are speaking of rebuilding your immune system I am tadding Vit. C, D3 and Tumerac.  All are supposed to help and none are harmful as long as you don't seriosly mega-dose.

Dynasysman
                Participant

I'm only starting to look into diet, but I believe that cancer also loves animal fats and all kinds of things we love…

This isn't a melanoma story, but a friend was diagnosed in 1994 with an extremely rare brain carcinoma with no known therapies available and a 1-2 year life expectancy.  He immediately eliminated animal fats, started preparing his own raw vegetables juices in the morning, added grains, sprouts, and other macrobiotic elements, and stopping frying his meals (or, for that matter, cooking whenever he could be happy eating raw).  He's still around 16 years later, retired a year or two ago from a high-prestige law firm, and, at age 65, is approaching a reasonable life expectancy.

…and what are the special properties of turmeric?

Dynasysman
                  Participant

I'm only starting to look into diet, but I believe that cancer also loves animal fats and all kinds of things we love…

This isn't a melanoma story, but a friend was diagnosed in 1994 with an extremely rare brain carcinoma with no known therapies available and a 1-2 year life expectancy.  He immediately eliminated animal fats, started preparing his own raw vegetables juices in the morning, added grains, sprouts, and other macrobiotic elements, and stopping frying his meals (or, for that matter, cooking whenever he could be happy eating raw).  He's still around 16 years later, retired a year or two ago from a high-prestige law firm, and, at age 65, is approaching a reasonable life expectancy.

Dynasysman
                    Participant

washoegal
                        Participant

This comes from Life Extension Magazine ( I was referred here by my Chiropractor)

What is drawing the attention of medical oncologists and researchers these days is a substance known as curcumin, a naturally occurring yellow pigment found in the spice tumeric, which is part of the ginger plant family. Tumeric is widely consumed in its countries of origin not only as a spice, but as a medicine for the treatment of a variety of illnesses. It was long ago used as an anti-inflammatory among Indian practitioners.(2)

Today, curcumin is showing a much broader potential. Not only does the extract work as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, but a series of studies in the past four years, focusing on cancer at the cellular level, reveals some exciting findings. For one thing, research is discovering that curcumin is a powerful carcinogenic inhibitor, slowing cancerous cell proliferation by inducing apoptosis, a pre-programmed set of processes within a cell that results in its death.

washoegal
                          Participant

This comes from Life Extension Magazine ( I was referred here by my Chiropractor)

What is drawing the attention of medical oncologists and researchers these days is a substance known as curcumin, a naturally occurring yellow pigment found in the spice tumeric, which is part of the ginger plant family. Tumeric is widely consumed in its countries of origin not only as a spice, but as a medicine for the treatment of a variety of illnesses. It was long ago used as an anti-inflammatory among Indian practitioners.(2)

Today, curcumin is showing a much broader potential. Not only does the extract work as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, but a series of studies in the past four years, focusing on cancer at the cellular level, reveals some exciting findings. For one thing, research is discovering that curcumin is a powerful carcinogenic inhibitor, slowing cancerous cell proliferation by inducing apoptosis, a pre-programmed set of processes within a cell that results in its death.

Dynasysman
                          Participant

Dynasysman
                            Participant

Thanks so much.  I try to keep up on this stuff, but never knew about turmeric.  And since I do the cooking in the house, well, I suspect we're in for a much higher turmeric diet :>)

Dynasysman
                              Participant

Thanks so much.  I try to keep up on this stuff, but never knew about turmeric.  And since I do the cooking in the house, well, I suspect we're in for a much higher turmeric diet :>)

Dynasysman
                                Participant

Dynasysman
                                  Participant

Dynasysman
                                    Participant

Dynasysman
                                      Participant

fliberdy
                                        Participant

Yes I too believe nutrition plays a huge role in our fight. I became a vegetarian a year and a half ago before I knew the mel was at that time already on my back.  I truly believe that unbeknownst to me my diet slowed the cancer growth. Now I am making green smoothies with the most nutritious greens I can find like Kale, mustard greens, spinach… And the drinks are delicious, just throw in some fruit like apples and pears, but be balanced here, as was mentioned cancer loves sugar.  Get yourself a "vita mix". They are pricey but well worth it. You can even make nutritious soups with it. 

May you have a speedy recovery!!  And keep up the fight!

fliberdy
                                          Participant

Yes I too believe nutrition plays a huge role in our fight. I became a vegetarian a year and a half ago before I knew the mel was at that time already on my back.  I truly believe that unbeknownst to me my diet slowed the cancer growth. Now I am making green smoothies with the most nutritious greens I can find like Kale, mustard greens, spinach… And the drinks are delicious, just throw in some fruit like apples and pears, but be balanced here, as was mentioned cancer loves sugar.  Get yourself a "vita mix". They are pricey but well worth it. You can even make nutritious soups with it. 

May you have a speedy recovery!!  And keep up the fight!

Janis B.
                                            Participant

To add to this topic, if you go to  PubMed and enter a search for green tea, you'll find a great deal of research showing the benefits of green tea in fighting cancer.  Many scientific articles also showing that cancer does love sugar – search any of the words related to sugar, ie sucrose.  The articles are dense, but you can get the idea after a while.

Janis B.
                                              Participant

To add to this topic, if you go to  PubMed and enter a search for green tea, you'll find a great deal of research showing the benefits of green tea in fighting cancer.  Many scientific articles also showing that cancer does love sugar – search any of the words related to sugar, ie sucrose.  The articles are dense, but you can get the idea after a while.

Jim M.
                                                Participant

Let's see if I can name the top 10 cancer fighting foods ( not in any order) according to the author of "Beating Cancer with Nutrition":1) Dark leafy greens (Kale is the most nutritious), 2) colorful vegetables i.e. beets (the more color the more cancer fighting properties it has), 3)whole grains, colorful berries(blueberries, strawberries, etc), 4)soy, 5)sea veggies such as kelp( careful not to eat too much of this as it contains lots of iodine and can mess with your thyroid), 6)cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, and brussels sprouts, 7)foods of the onion family including garlic, green onions and leeks, 8)healthy herbs like basil, rosemary, thyme, turmeric, cinnamon,9) purified water,10) AND green tea. Also get in an orange fruit every day as well as orange veggie( like sweet potato or butternut squash- for Beta Carotene). If you want selenium from a natural source eat 3 brazil nuts a day. Hope this helps.

God Bless,

Jim M.

Jim M.
                                                  Participant

Let's see if I can name the top 10 cancer fighting foods ( not in any order) according to the author of "Beating Cancer with Nutrition":1) Dark leafy greens (Kale is the most nutritious), 2) colorful vegetables i.e. beets (the more color the more cancer fighting properties it has), 3)whole grains, colorful berries(blueberries, strawberries, etc), 4)soy, 5)sea veggies such as kelp( careful not to eat too much of this as it contains lots of iodine and can mess with your thyroid), 6)cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, and brussels sprouts, 7)foods of the onion family including garlic, green onions and leeks, 8)healthy herbs like basil, rosemary, thyme, turmeric, cinnamon,9) purified water,10) AND green tea. Also get in an orange fruit every day as well as orange veggie( like sweet potato or butternut squash- for Beta Carotene). If you want selenium from a natural source eat 3 brazil nuts a day. Hope this helps.

God Bless,

Jim M.

lovingwifedeb
                                                    Participant

This is great dialog… I for one am excited to hear from those of you who have ventured onto the path of learning outside of chemical warfare. Thank you everyone for your input!

After surgery one of my husband's doctors recommended a Mediterranean diet for him to follow so that is how we are learning to cook. By the way, the Vitamix was delivered this week to my surprise, (my husband's been busy). Let's just say our grocery bill is not the same as it was, buying fresh and organic is not cheap. Now my husband's trying to make his own salad dressing out of olive oil… I don't think I can take anymore garlic! (ha!)

I have to be honest though… I do get weak on Saturday nights when we go out for dinner… somehow I find a coke sitting in front of me along with a fat juicy burger with bacon, I've earned every bite! Ahhhh, I love my dear husband as I watch his smiling eyes as he eats his green salad and his lean chicken sandwhich. This disease has changed our world but it has not destroyed our sense of humor about each other… there's no doubt we do not like change but at the same time we give each other hope.

As for Tumeric? It seems it colors everything bright yellow… I have orders to add it in everything we make. Also we have learned that you need to add pepper at the same time to allow the absorbtion of the tumeric in your body to work better. We looked it up just to be sure.

First round of re-testing comes in December, anxcious… fingers are crossed.

Deb

lovingwifedeb
                                                      Participant

This is great dialog… I for one am excited to hear from those of you who have ventured onto the path of learning outside of chemical warfare. Thank you everyone for your input!

After surgery one of my husband's doctors recommended a Mediterranean diet for him to follow so that is how we are learning to cook. By the way, the Vitamix was delivered this week to my surprise, (my husband's been busy). Let's just say our grocery bill is not the same as it was, buying fresh and organic is not cheap. Now my husband's trying to make his own salad dressing out of olive oil… I don't think I can take anymore garlic! (ha!)

I have to be honest though… I do get weak on Saturday nights when we go out for dinner… somehow I find a coke sitting in front of me along with a fat juicy burger with bacon, I've earned every bite! Ahhhh, I love my dear husband as I watch his smiling eyes as he eats his green salad and his lean chicken sandwhich. This disease has changed our world but it has not destroyed our sense of humor about each other… there's no doubt we do not like change but at the same time we give each other hope.

As for Tumeric? It seems it colors everything bright yellow… I have orders to add it in everything we make. Also we have learned that you need to add pepper at the same time to allow the absorbtion of the tumeric in your body to work better. We looked it up just to be sure.

First round of re-testing comes in December, anxcious… fingers are crossed.

Deb

Dynasysman
                                                          Participant

You people are amazing, all of you.  I am so moved by your compassion and struck by your strength.  I am also awestruck to find myself on an MRF bulletin board, somewhere I never imagined I would be even a week ago.

This is all moving pretty fast for me, but I am hopeful that I was vigilant enough.  On September 30, we ended a four-month period during which we turned our business completely around from not-quite-just-getting-by to record sales and profits month after month, something I described as a "near-death" experience (little did I know…).  At 5:00 that afternoon, after closing our last sale for the month, I clasped my hands behind my head and felt a lump on the left side of my neck that I had never noticed before.  My business is in health care, so I was fairly sure it was a lymph node.  When it had not receded by the following Tuesday, I made an appointment to see my doctor.  When antibiotics didn't heal the problem, I scheduled an ENT appointment immediately.  And when he said, "This is almost large enough to biopsy," we did the needle biopsy on the spot and, without waiting for results, scheduled to have the node out 12 days later.  

When the needle biopsy yielded positive malignancy, neither my ENT nor I were completely surprised, but when the results said "melanoma," I felt a complete sense of panic and loss of control.  (It didn't help that I was viewing focus groups in a marketing research facility 2,000 miles from home and had already missed the last flight of the night).  I made it home the next day and spent the entire weekend in total panic.

That was last week; this is test week.  Took the node out yesterday, PET-CT scan today, pathology on node comes back tomorrow, Yesterday suggested that there is only one node (which is good), although the capsule walls was, as my ENT put it, "mushy" (which is not).  One day at a time…

Thursday we make a plan of action.  It sounds so simple and clear cut, but anyone on this website knows how much cold, stark fear the word "melanoma" can strike in one's soul.  By nature, I am tough, optimistic, and very resilient, but I know that nothing is certain with this disease. I could even have a false positive, although most of the other options (except for "no malignancy") appear less optimistic than this one.  Gulp!!  At any rate, good luck and G-d's blessings for you, for me, and for every patient or loved one who finds her or his way to a melanoma bulletin board.

I guess I have a small edge in this diet thing.  My wife, affectionately known throughout our family as "the Food Fascist", hasn't eaten red meat for 30 years, describes herself as a "Pescatarian" (fish, no meat), and isn't shy about pressing her views on others.  We have been moving toward a healthier eating style for the last several years.  Oh, and I have been drinking cold green tea for years (can't tell you why, but I simply like the flavor).

That said, I never knew about the properties of turmeric, which I love and my wife doesn't (but says she will learn to).  I had always thought that fat was the enemy far more than sugar, and have made fruits a large part of my diet as a result.  I never heard of Vitamix before yesterday, and hadn't even considered how to do the research on changing my diet (beyond making a note to find a nutritionist next week).  

I know I have a lot ahead of me and a lot to learn.  I am thankful you folks are out their fighting and sharing and caring…

Dynasysman
                                                            Participant

You people are amazing, all of you.  I am so moved by your compassion and struck by your strength.  I am also awestruck to find myself on an MRF bulletin board, somewhere I never imagined I would be even a week ago.

This is all moving pretty fast for me, but I am hopeful that I was vigilant enough.  On September 30, we ended a four-month period during which we turned our business completely around from not-quite-just-getting-by to record sales and profits month after month, something I described as a "near-death" experience (little did I know…).  At 5:00 that afternoon, after closing our last sale for the month, I clasped my hands behind my head and felt a lump on the left side of my neck that I had never noticed before.  My business is in health care, so I was fairly sure it was a lymph node.  When it had not receded by the following Tuesday, I made an appointment to see my doctor.  When antibiotics didn't heal the problem, I scheduled an ENT appointment immediately.  And when he said, "This is almost large enough to biopsy," we did the needle biopsy on the spot and, without waiting for results, scheduled to have the node out 12 days later.  

When the needle biopsy yielded positive malignancy, neither my ENT nor I were completely surprised, but when the results said "melanoma," I felt a complete sense of panic and loss of control.  (It didn't help that I was viewing focus groups in a marketing research facility 2,000 miles from home and had already missed the last flight of the night).  I made it home the next day and spent the entire weekend in total panic.

That was last week; this is test week.  Took the node out yesterday, PET-CT scan today, pathology on node comes back tomorrow, Yesterday suggested that there is only one node (which is good), although the capsule walls was, as my ENT put it, "mushy" (which is not).  One day at a time…

Thursday we make a plan of action.  It sounds so simple and clear cut, but anyone on this website knows how much cold, stark fear the word "melanoma" can strike in one's soul.  By nature, I am tough, optimistic, and very resilient, but I know that nothing is certain with this disease. I could even have a false positive, although most of the other options (except for "no malignancy") appear less optimistic than this one.  Gulp!!  At any rate, good luck and G-d's blessings for you, for me, and for every patient or loved one who finds her or his way to a melanoma bulletin board.

I guess I have a small edge in this diet thing.  My wife, affectionately known throughout our family as "the Food Fascist", hasn't eaten red meat for 30 years, describes herself as a "Pescatarian" (fish, no meat), and isn't shy about pressing her views on others.  We have been moving toward a healthier eating style for the last several years.  Oh, and I have been drinking cold green tea for years (can't tell you why, but I simply like the flavor).

That said, I never knew about the properties of turmeric, which I love and my wife doesn't (but says she will learn to).  I had always thought that fat was the enemy far more than sugar, and have made fruits a large part of my diet as a result.  I never heard of Vitamix before yesterday, and hadn't even considered how to do the research on changing my diet (beyond making a note to find a nutritionist next week).  

I know I have a lot ahead of me and a lot to learn.  I am thankful you folks are out their fighting and sharing and caring…

lovingwifedeb
                                                              Participant

Thank you for sharing your story, being in the healthcare business you probably will be your own worst enemy, your wife will be your best advocate… a great balance I am thinking. You sound like you might be already aware of the many resources available to you that you might need coming up in the future so I won't stear you in any direction concerning that…

If you would like to hear our story you can catch up on my blog and read my entries…  "We Have Cancer"…

http://redesign08.blogspot.com/

I am not so much in the technical end of things as the "humane" side of our story.

Best wishes to you and your wife.

Deb

lovingwifedeb
                                                                Participant

Thank you for sharing your story, being in the healthcare business you probably will be your own worst enemy, your wife will be your best advocate… a great balance I am thinking. You sound like you might be already aware of the many resources available to you that you might need coming up in the future so I won't stear you in any direction concerning that…

If you would like to hear our story you can catch up on my blog and read my entries…  "We Have Cancer"…

http://redesign08.blogspot.com/

I am not so much in the technical end of things as the "humane" side of our story.

Best wishes to you and your wife.

Deb

Springbok
                                                                  Participant

I am all for eating well, and have been gradually getting away from junk foods to unprocessed natural, preferably organic food stuffs over the past few years.

At the very least, a good diet does you no harm, but it's a big leap from there to assume that diet can a) prevent cancer, and b) eliminate cancer once it is in your body.

We, who have the dreaded desease, are all desperadoes, frantically looking for the magic cure. Again, I would suggest a reading of Solzhenitsyn's Cancer Ward to put all these things in perspective

Springbok

Springbok
                                                                    Participant

I am all for eating well, and have been gradually getting away from junk foods to unprocessed natural, preferably organic food stuffs over the past few years.

At the very least, a good diet does you no harm, but it's a big leap from there to assume that diet can a) prevent cancer, and b) eliminate cancer once it is in your body.

We, who have the dreaded desease, are all desperadoes, frantically looking for the magic cure. Again, I would suggest a reading of Solzhenitsyn's Cancer Ward to put all these things in perspective

Springbok

lovingwifedeb
                                                                      Participant

Springbok,

As I have been forced into this journey through my husband's unfortunate diagnosis let me say here that I support his decisions 100% when it comes to his health care.  No matter what a person decides to do sometimes a leap of faith no matter how small is all it takes to carry a them through this kind of "sorry mess"…

My husband's stage 3c has little options as he is considered "cancer free" or NED. Interferon 5% effective. A cancer vaccine trial with one out of 3 people getting a placebo and he wouldn't know the results for another 5-7 years and uncertain if it even works. My husband's primary was never located as his immune system destroyed it. His tumor was surgically removed 7/22/10 and was about 3 inches long, located in his groin area, 18 lymph nodes removed… all tested negative. The doctor says expect rogue cancer cells to set up housekeeping elsewhere in the future. (When?) Thank you very much Doc…

"We" are a team in this journey and learning everything about this disease we can, this is our first priority. I will add your book to my list for future reading.

I also have learned that ALL of us walk this earth with cancer cells inside of us. Shocked as I was to learn this it made me an even bigger believer in changing our diets to GREEN. You say this is desperate? You say this is magic? I don't think so… Too many other books and articles that I have read so far say otherwise.

I'm not here disqualify anybody's treatment, and neither should you. Someday those "rogue" cancer cells just may land in some vital organ of my husbands and send him into stage 4. Other treatment options will then have to be discussed, this is not a closed door. But until then I will help him build up his immune system in the most natural and powerful way I know how and it certainly is not by a magic bullet but by common sense.

Just like the pollution on the outside affects us so does the pollution on the inside.

Peace to you.

Deb

Dynasysman
                                                                        Participant
                                                                          Amen, Deb! The point isn’t a desperate effort to “prevent cancer” (too late!) or remove it from my body (not sure that’s possible, either). The point is to do what’s right and maximize your chances for as many good days as possible. We all die sometime. But we should do what we can to live as well as possible as optimistically as possible for as long as possible.
                                                                          Dynasysman
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            Amen, Deb! The point isn’t a desperate effort to “prevent cancer” (too late!) or remove it from my body (not sure that’s possible, either). The point is to do what’s right and maximize your chances for as many good days as possible. We all die sometime. But we should do what we can to live as well as possible as optimistically as possible for as long as possible.
                                                                            lovingwifedeb
                                                                            Participant

Springbok,

As I have been forced into this journey through my husband's unfortunate diagnosis let me say here that I support his decisions 100% when it comes to his health care.  No matter what a person decides to do sometimes a leap of faith no matter how small is all it takes to carry a them through this kind of "sorry mess"…

My husband's stage 3c has little options as he is considered "cancer free" or NED. Interferon 5% effective. A cancer vaccine trial with one out of 3 people getting a placebo and he wouldn't know the results for another 5-7 years and uncertain if it even works. My husband's primary was never located as his immune system destroyed it. His tumor was surgically removed 7/22/10 and was about 3 inches long, located in his groin area, 18 lymph nodes removed… all tested negative. The doctor says expect rogue cancer cells to set up housekeeping elsewhere in the future. (When?) Thank you very much Doc…

"We" are a team in this journey and learning everything about this disease we can, this is our first priority. I will add your book to my list for future reading.

I also have learned that ALL of us walk this earth with cancer cells inside of us. Shocked as I was to learn this it made me an even bigger believer in changing our diets to GREEN. You say this is desperate? You say this is magic? I don't think so… Too many other books and articles that I have read so far say otherwise.

I'm not here disqualify anybody's treatment, and neither should you. Someday those "rogue" cancer cells just may land in some vital organ of my husbands and send him into stage 4. Other treatment options will then have to be discussed, this is not a closed door. But until then I will help him build up his immune system in the most natural and powerful way I know how and it certainly is not by a magic bullet but by common sense.

Just like the pollution on the outside affects us so does the pollution on the inside.

Peace to you.

Deb

Janis B.
                                                                              Participant

Deb, I will be crossing my fingers with you both, across the miles.  One more thing – not to go on and on about the diet issue, but it IS one thing that those of us at stage IIIC and holding can do, other than wait and watch.  So thanks so much to everyone for posting on this topic and for adding to my knowledge.

Now, I'm off to my kitchen to make a green smoothie!

Janis B.
                                                                                Participant

Deb, I will be crossing my fingers with you both, across the miles.  One more thing – not to go on and on about the diet issue, but it IS one thing that those of us at stage IIIC and holding can do, other than wait and watch.  So thanks so much to everyone for posting on this topic and for adding to my knowledge.

Now, I'm off to my kitchen to make a green smoothie!

Jim M.
                                                                                Participant

I didn't mention it on my other post but I also take a Garlinase garlic tablet, Quercetin, Fish Oil and a green powder drink called Green Vibrance. I used to take AHCC until it interacted with the steroid I'm on. If I could I'd still take it. Don't forget red grapes for resveratrol.

God Bless,

Jim M.

lovingwifedeb
                                                                                    Participant

Thanks Jim for all the info,

Those new ingredients you mentioned will have to share space in our cupboard with the vitamin D, vitamin C, flaxseed oil, olive oil, regular vitamins, cod liver oil, tumeric, and all the Green Tea a person could want to drink… Now if only that new ingredient in AHCC was a distant cousin to the kind of mushroom that took you places, like back in time during 70's if you know what I mean… (ha! just kidding!) OK… maybe not… my sense of humor coming through…

I have to admit here since Thanksgiving is coming up that the all sacred "gravey" will not be sacraficed on my table if I can help it. I bought wheat flour to replace the enriched flour… we may not eat as much this year but we will have gravy on the table… It's the egg nog I worry about… my weakness! I will have to wear blinders!

Thanks again!

Deb

Jim M.
                                                                                      Participant

Yeah Deb, I felt pretty cool or groovy (now I'm showing my age) while I was on the mushroom extract! It's like psychedelic, man! ( so good to have some humor).

Yep, Thanksgiving is one of the few days I'll break the rules. Not to worry about egg nog Deb. I just saw Soy Nog at our local supermarket. I may try some.

Happy turkey day to you.

Jim M.

Dynasysman
                                                                                        Participant

Soy Nog.  YIkes!!

I guess we're all thinking Thanksgiving.  In our family, we do a roasted brussel sprout dish as a side.  In past years, people cooked them with bacon and chestnuts, but this year I believe we will be eliminating the bacon and instead using olive oil, garlic cloves, and perhaps a bit of curry seasoning (for the tumeric) so that there is at least one virtuous dish swimming in a sea of yummy bad stuff.

I plan to improvise (no formal recipe).  Anyone else have thoughts for 1-2 healthy things i can do?

We're all turkeys anyway…

ChristineL
                                                                                          Participant

How about either roasted or stir-fried kale?  It's known as a superfood, and if you can buy local (depending on where you live) it is even better after a frost.  Happy eating!!!

ChristineL

Dynasysman
                                                                                            Participant

Never roasted kale (as compared to brussel sprouts and cauliflower, which I roast frequently), but do saute and stir-fry it.  In fact, its cousin Swiss chard is our green vegetable tonight (sauteed with shallots in olive oil).  How hot should the oven be (to roast kale)?  How long?

ChristineL
                                                                                              Participant

Sorry for my delayed response:  Basically, chop kale (some people remove the ribs), toss with a little olive oil, chopped garlic, sea salt, pepper, put on a baking sheet (it's gonna shrink a lot, keep in mind)  Bake at 375 for 20 minutes stirring every 5.  Kale will be soft but crispy around the edges.  Enjoy!

ChristineL
                                                                                                Participant

Sorry for my delayed response:  Basically, chop kale (some people remove the ribs), toss with a little olive oil, chopped garlic, sea salt, pepper, put on a baking sheet (it's gonna shrink a lot, keep in mind)  Bake at 375 for 20 minutes stirring every 5.  Kale will be soft but crispy around the edges.  Enjoy!

Dynasysman
                                                                                                  Participant

Never roasted kale (as compared to brussel sprouts and cauliflower, which I roast frequently), but do saute and stir-fry it.  In fact, its cousin Swiss chard is our green vegetable tonight (sauteed with shallots in olive oil).  How hot should the oven be (to roast kale)?  How long?

ChristineL
                                                                                                    Participant

How about either roasted or stir-fried kale?  It's known as a superfood, and if you can buy local (depending on where you live) it is even better after a frost.  Happy eating!!!

ChristineL

Dynasysman
                                                                                                      Participant

Soy Nog.  YIkes!!

I guess we're all thinking Thanksgiving.  In our family, we do a roasted brussel sprout dish as a side.  In past years, people cooked them with bacon and chestnuts, but this year I believe we will be eliminating the bacon and instead using olive oil, garlic cloves, and perhaps a bit of curry seasoning (for the tumeric) so that there is at least one virtuous dish swimming in a sea of yummy bad stuff.

I plan to improvise (no formal recipe).  Anyone else have thoughts for 1-2 healthy things i can do?

We're all turkeys anyway…

Jim M.
                                                                                                        Participant

Yeah Deb, I felt pretty cool or groovy (now I'm showing my age) while I was on the mushroom extract! It's like psychedelic, man! ( so good to have some humor).

Yep, Thanksgiving is one of the few days I'll break the rules. Not to worry about egg nog Deb. I just saw Soy Nog at our local supermarket. I may try some.

Happy turkey day to you.

Jim M.

lovingwifedeb
                                                                                                          Participant

Thanks Jim for all the info,

Those new ingredients you mentioned will have to share space in our cupboard with the vitamin D, vitamin C, flaxseed oil, olive oil, regular vitamins, cod liver oil, tumeric, and all the Green Tea a person could want to drink… Now if only that new ingredient in AHCC was a distant cousin to the kind of mushroom that took you places, like back in time during 70's if you know what I mean… (ha! just kidding!) OK… maybe not… my sense of humor coming through…

I have to admit here since Thanksgiving is coming up that the all sacred "gravey" will not be sacraficed on my table if I can help it. I bought wheat flour to replace the enriched flour… we may not eat as much this year but we will have gravy on the table… It's the egg nog I worry about… my weakness! I will have to wear blinders!

Thanks again!

Deb

Jim M.
                                                                                                          Participant

I didn't mention it on my other post but I also take a Garlinase garlic tablet, Quercetin, Fish Oil and a green powder drink called Green Vibrance. I used to take AHCC until it interacted with the steroid I'm on. If I could I'd still take it. Don't forget red grapes for resveratrol.

God Bless,

Jim M.

2atlascedars
                                                                                                            Participant

Has anyone ever tried Airborne, the herbal supplement? I have never tried it, but they claim it boosts the immune system. Apparently, it contains zinc, ginger, echinacea, and 16 vitamins, minerals, and herbs (including vitamin C)... …..vitamin C

2atlascedars
                                                                                                              Participant

Has anyone ever tried Airborne, the herbal supplement? I have never tried it, but they claim it boosts the immune system. Apparently, it contains zinc, ginger, echinacea, and 16 vitamins, minerals, and herbs (including vitamin C)... …..vitamin C

Suzan AB
                                                                                                                Participant

I have used Airborne while on my treatments last year…GM-CSF ended 1/10 and stayed healthy while people at work were dropping like flies from flu. 

I call my husband the "Food Nazi" sorry if that offends some, but it is true, he watches most stuff going into my mouth.  He is the one who finds the information about nutrition.  All of the advise here on nutrition is sound and really should be followed to the "T".  I am like a yo-yo, strict adherance, then forgeting to take my supplements. 

So, I am back on the path with a serious wake up call…waiting for my second opinion from UCSF to see if mets have truly traveled to my lung.  Trying to hang on to my sanity is hard while waiting, keeping up a stiff upper lip so I won't worry my husband, who is a loving-anxious fellow drains me.  Its a bit cloudy today, but it will be sunny tomorrow and we will be on the lake fishing.  I love the land locked salmon here at Shasta Lake.  This board of people are great.  Now go and eat your greens…LOL

My best to you and yours!

Suzan AB

Stage IV

Dynasysman
                                                                                                                    Participant

Hi Suzan —

Waiting stinks, doesn't it?  Like, totally?

Your husband and my wife would be a pair.  We've called her the "Food Fascist" for years — always heavily into nutrition and diet even before I developed MUP.  We're Jewish, so "Nazi" wouldn't quite work…but it's the same idea.

Enjoy the weekend and the salmon, and good luck with your results.

Stay strong

Suzan AB
                                                                                                                      Participant

Thanks for the encouragement.  Waiting does suck…hard!  I will change my wording to yours because I like it…My husband the "FF" Lt.  More appropriate too. 

My best to you and your honey!

Suzan

Stage IV Purple Painted Warrior with a splash of Bright Yellow…

Suzan AB
                                                                                                                        Participant

Thanks for the encouragement.  Waiting does suck…hard!  I will change my wording to yours because I like it…My husband the "FF" Lt.  More appropriate too. 

My best to you and your honey!

Suzan

Stage IV Purple Painted Warrior with a splash of Bright Yellow…

Dynasysman
                                                                                                                          Participant

Hi Suzan —

Waiting stinks, doesn't it?  Like, totally?

Your husband and my wife would be a pair.  We've called her the "Food Fascist" for years — always heavily into nutrition and diet even before I developed MUP.  We're Jewish, so "Nazi" wouldn't quite work…but it's the same idea.

Enjoy the weekend and the salmon, and good luck with your results.

Stay strong

Suzan AB
                                                                                                                          Participant

I have used Airborne while on my treatments last year…GM-CSF ended 1/10 and stayed healthy while people at work were dropping like flies from flu. 

I call my husband the "Food Nazi" sorry if that offends some, but it is true, he watches most stuff going into my mouth.  He is the one who finds the information about nutrition.  All of the advise here on nutrition is sound and really should be followed to the "T".  I am like a yo-yo, strict adherance, then forgeting to take my supplements. 

So, I am back on the path with a serious wake up call…waiting for my second opinion from UCSF to see if mets have truly traveled to my lung.  Trying to hang on to my sanity is hard while waiting, keeping up a stiff upper lip so I won't worry my husband, who is a loving-anxious fellow drains me.  Its a bit cloudy today, but it will be sunny tomorrow and we will be on the lake fishing.  I love the land locked salmon here at Shasta Lake.  This board of people are great.  Now go and eat your greens…LOL

My best to you and yours!

Suzan AB

Stage IV

Viewing 27 reply threads
                                                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics