The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

The Room of Hope

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community The Room of Hope

Participant

Haven't been here in quite a while. Am Stage IIIb and have been for almost 12 years in spite of 6 recurrences..all surgically removed..all on the skin or just underneath. Have had 8 surgeries, 4 skin grafts, 2 sentinel node biopsies, chemo (interferon), radiation, a vaccine and then Leukine for 8 years. Fortunately none of the recurrences were in organs. I did have renal cell carcinoma (kidney removed) and in 2008 had adenocarcinoma (lung cancer and upper left lobe removed….I don't smoke). Been quite a journey in the cancer world but so far so good.

Haven't been here in quite a while. Am Stage IIIb and have been for almost 12 years in spite of 6 recurrences..all surgically removed..all on the skin or just underneath. Have had 8 surgeries, 4 skin grafts, 2 sentinel node biopsies, chemo (interferon), radiation, a vaccine and then Leukine for 8 years. Fortunately none of the recurrences were in organs. I did have renal cell carcinoma (kidney removed) and in 2008 had adenocarcinoma (lung cancer and upper left lobe removed….I don't smoke). Been quite a journey in the cancer world but so far so good.

Chicken Soup for the Soul was soliciting stories for their Cancer Book. So I submitted a story called The Room of Hope, my story in the chemo room. It was included in the book. My view of the chemo room was and is that it is a place where Hope lives so I wrote it from that perspective. If you are interested in reading many good, hopeful and yes, sad stories, get the Chciken Soup for the Soul – The Cancer Book. My story is one of them.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        kylez
        Participant

gonna put this on my reading list.

kylez
          Participant

kylez
            Participant

kylez
              Participant

Al, I got this book finally on interlibrary loan. It was an excellent read. The main problems is I mainly read over lunch or on the bus, and I would choke up with almost every story. Especially the parts where someone finds out they have cancer for the first time. It was enlightening to hear so many different points of view on the impact of cancer and the different ways people respond to it. Your story was great too. I've been in an infusion room exactly 4 times (IPI). I don't think I thought of it as the room of hope at the time. But given that I probably had a good response to IPI (knock on wood), and after reading your storyI think I could see it that now.

Great book.
                – Kyle

kylez
                Participant

Al, I got this book finally on interlibrary loan. It was an excellent read. The main problems is I mainly read over lunch or on the bus, and I would choke up with almost every story. Especially the parts where someone finds out they have cancer for the first time. It was enlightening to hear so many different points of view on the impact of cancer and the different ways people respond to it. Your story was great too. I've been in an infusion room exactly 4 times (IPI). I don't think I thought of it as the room of hope at the time. But given that I probably had a good response to IPI (knock on wood), and after reading your storyI think I could see it that now.

Great book.
                  – Kyle

kylez
                  Participant

Great book.
                    – Kyle

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics