The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New moles growing

Forums General Melanoma Community New moles growing

Participant

Hi all, 

I had a wide re-excision for a thin melanoma of the Left posterior ear 3 weeks ago. It was grafted and is healing well. The melanoma was removed by a Dermatologist on June 6th. Pathology report states Clarks Level II, Breslow .25 mm, no ulceration, extensive regression, mitotic figures not applicable (small dermal component), epitheliod cytology, no identified melonacytic nevus, non-brisk tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes, no perineural/vascular invasion identified. 

Hi all, 

I had a wide re-excision for a thin melanoma of the Left posterior ear 3 weeks ago. It was grafted and is healing well. The melanoma was removed by a Dermatologist on June 6th. Pathology report states Clarks Level II, Breslow .25 mm, no ulceration, extensive regression, mitotic figures not applicable (small dermal component), epitheliod cytology, no identified melonacytic nevus, non-brisk tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes, no perineural/vascular invasion identified. 

Also, found a strange-looking mole in my scalp on the Right side of my head, did a 2 MM Punch Biopsy, which came back Friday as precancerous, according to the Oncologist. Now I am being sent to the MD Anderson Melanoma Center where they want to do a full body scan to check all of my moles. 

About 2 weeks ago, I noticed several small, new pigmented areas on the backside of my left ear, they are all in a row up and down my ear. Two are pretty big and kindof a rectangular shape. They are getting darker as time goes by. They don't feel "bumpy" but they do have a slight rough surface. What are the chances of this being more Melanoma..?

I noticed a few more similar spots under my left armpit last night. One big and two small, they are very faint but they are there. Has anyone else had a similar experience..?

Thanks.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

A full body scan to check moles?  I have not heard of this technology, I'm curious about it to ask my Dr if they would offer such a thing.  Also, not sure whas "precancerous" means.  A lesion, if not melanoma, can be mildly atypical, moderately atypical or severely atypical.  Does not mean they will necessarily ever turn into cancer.

JC
          Participant

A full body scan to check moles?  I have not heard of this technology, I'm curious about it to ask my Dr if they would offer such a thing.  Also, not sure whas "precancerous" means.  A lesion, if not melanoma, can be mildly atypical, moderately atypical or severely atypical.  Does not mean they will necessarily ever turn into cancer.

Jessicaanneli
              Participant

I think the PA I spoke with used bad wording…to them the medical jargon is a second language, to us it's Greek. I will find out what this means when I go to my appointment. 

The Path report (just got to see it ) read 'Moderate Architectural Disorder and Moderate Cytologic Atypia of Melanocytes-dysplastic' . They told me it needs to come off because it will likely turn into Melanoma. There's another mole right beside the ones biopsied, looks about the same. I would think both will be removed. We will see.

Thank you for your reply! 

Jessicaanneli
                Participant

I think the PA I spoke with used bad wording…to them the medical jargon is a second language, to us it's Greek. I will find out what this means when I go to my appointment. 

The Path report (just got to see it ) read 'Moderate Architectural Disorder and Moderate Cytologic Atypia of Melanocytes-dysplastic' . They told me it needs to come off because it will likely turn into Melanoma. There's another mole right beside the ones biopsied, looks about the same. I would think both will be removed. We will see.

Jessicaanneli
                  Participant

JC
                    Participant

Not all dysplastic/atypical turn into melanoma

JC
                      Participant

Jessicaanneli
                        Participant

Better safe than sorry, right! I'm letting the docs do their thing, not taking any chances. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Jessicaanneli
                          Participant

Better safe than sorry, right! I'm letting the docs do their thing, not taking any chances. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Jessicaanneli
                            Participant

JC
                              Participant

JC
                              Participant

Gene_S
                                Participant

We were told the cancer would most likely be on the same side for reoccurrence and doesn't change sides until after it has metastasized.

My husband had a total of 4 surgeries for melanoma on his left side before metastasis.

Judy (loving wife of Gene)

Jessicaanneli
                                    Participant

Thank you Judy, wishing you all the best to you and your husband. 

Jessicaanneli
                                      Participant

Jessicaanneli
                                        Participant

Gene_S
                                        Participant

We were told the cancer would most likely be on the same side for reoccurrence and doesn't change sides until after it has metastasized.

My husband had a total of 4 surgeries for melanoma on his left side before metastasis.

Gene_S
                                          Participant

Janner
                                            Participant

Any time you have pigment regrowth near a previously removed melanoma, it is reason to have it checked out.  It doesn't have to be melanoma, but it is of concern.  You can certainly show the armpit lesions to your doc, but with a primary on the ear, this area doesn't seem overly suspicous for a metastases, however there is always the possibility of a new primary in that location.  But if they are simply new moles or freckles and don't stand out from your other moles in any way, I wouldn't be overly concerned about them.  As the doc I work with who is doing a study on multiple primaries/atypical moles says:  "New and different from everything else is concerning.  New and looking like all your other moles is fine".   As with anything, if you have questions about any lesion, ask your doctor.

As for the full body scan, the other poster is correct.  They don't do any type of "scan" for moles except a visual head-to-toe one.  Scans (X-Ray, CT, MRI, PET) don't have the type of resolution to be of much use in finding a new primary on the skin. 

Jessicaanneli
                                                Participant

Thanks for the input! Perhaps the wording used was inappropriate, I have no idea what the PA was talking about. I started out at the Head/Neck Center, they have now refered me to the Melanoma Center. I guess I will find out what they mean once I go to my appointment. 

I did show the regrowth to the Head/Neck doc, she said she had no idea what it could be, hence the referal to the Derm. No it does not look anything like my other moles..looks very different from any of my old ones, and I've had many many moles since childhood, always disliked them (apperance…). I really hope it's something other than a Melanoma. 

Thanks again!

Jessicaanneli
                                                  Participant

Thanks for the input! Perhaps the wording used was inappropriate, I have no idea what the PA was talking about. I started out at the Head/Neck Center, they have now refered me to the Melanoma Center. I guess I will find out what they mean once I go to my appointment. 

I did show the regrowth to the Head/Neck doc, she said she had no idea what it could be, hence the referal to the Derm. No it does not look anything like my other moles..looks very different from any of my old ones, and I've had many many moles since childhood, always disliked them (apperance…). I really hope it's something other than a Melanoma. 

Thanks again!

Jessicaanneli
                                                    Participant

Thanks again!

Janner
                                                    Participant

Any time you have pigment regrowth near a previously removed melanoma, it is reason to have it checked out.  It doesn't have to be melanoma, but it is of concern.  You can certainly show the armpit lesions to your doc, but with a primary on the ear, this area doesn't seem overly suspicous for a metastases, however there is always the possibility of a new primary in that location.  But if they are simply new moles or freckles and don't stand out from your other moles in any way, I wouldn't be overly concerned about them.  As the doc I work with who is doing a study on multiple primaries/atypical moles says:  "New and different from everything else is concerning.  New and looking like all your other moles is fine".   As with anything, if you have questions about any lesion, ask your doctor.

As for the full body scan, the other poster is correct.  They don't do any type of "scan" for moles except a visual head-to-toe one.  Scans (X-Ray, CT, MRI, PET) don't have the type of resolution to be of much use in finding a new primary on the skin. 

Janner
                                                      Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics