The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

melanoma outcome calculator

Forums General Melanoma Community melanoma outcome calculator

Participant

Hi, was wondering if anyone has seen this melanoma prediction calculator at melanomaprognosis.org. You enter in your individual factors and it gives average survival rates. I know the doctors don't really like to look at these average survival rates, but it seems fairly accurate, based on what my doctor has told me and from everything I have researched. Only thing I don't  understand is that the 5 and 10 year survival rates go down. It's my understanding that when it gets that far out, the chances of recurrence goes down dramatically.

Hi, was wondering if anyone has seen this melanoma prediction calculator at melanomaprognosis.org. You enter in your individual factors and it gives average survival rates. I know the doctors don't really like to look at these average survival rates, but it seems fairly accurate, based on what my doctor has told me and from everything I have researched. Only thing I don't  understand is that the 5 and 10 year survival rates go down. It's my understanding that when it gets that far out, the chances of recurrence goes down dramatically. I would like to hear what other peoples's opinion is of this.   

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Your survival rates don't actually go down even though the numbers appear to say they do.  Say you have 100 people.  In the first 5 years, say 9 people pass away.  That means the survival rates for the first five years would be 91%.  Now say, in the next 5 years, only 5 people pass away.  Almost 50% less people pass away (so your odds are going up – less people are dying as time goes on).  But the 10 year survival rate now says that the survival rate is 86%.  Survival rates are based on the INITIAL population of 100 and so  they will always go down – but that doesn't mean an individual's odds go down – they don't.  Your odds improve over time.  I hope this little example will help you understand the statistics better.

Janner

Becky C.
            Participant

Thanks Janner. That does make it a little clearer. I  remember reading an article about John McCain's melanoma. It had been like seven or eight years at the time, and his doctor was quoted as saying his chances of recurrence were very small after that many years.

Becky C.
              Participant

Thanks Janner. That does make it a little clearer. I  remember reading an article about John McCain's melanoma. It had been like seven or eight years at the time, and his doctor was quoted as saying his chances of recurrence were very small after that many years.

Becky C.
                Participant

Janner
                Participant

Your survival rates don't actually go down even though the numbers appear to say they do.  Say you have 100 people.  In the first 5 years, say 9 people pass away.  That means the survival rates for the first five years would be 91%.  Now say, in the next 5 years, only 5 people pass away.  Almost 50% less people pass away (so your odds are going up – less people are dying as time goes on).  But the 10 year survival rate now says that the survival rate is 86%.  Survival rates are based on the INITIAL population of 100 and so  they will always go down – but that doesn't mean an individual's odds go down – they don't.  Your odds improve over time.  I hope this little example will help you understand the statistics better.

Janner

Janner
                  Participant

Janner

JC
                    Participant

other thing that doesn't make sense about these is how can it predict a lesion reduces someone's life by 0.8 years?  I mean that seems ridiculous – people don't die 0.8 years earlier because of melanoma. . .it either cuts a lot of years off life or, it's "cured" . . .how can it be 0.8 years, that makes no sense

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

And what do statistics have to do with MY individual survival?   Statistics are based on numbers run on large numbers of people and do not foretell what WILL occcur in an individuals life.

JC
                          Participant

i get that, but i still don't understand 0.8 years shorter – makes no sense

JC
                            Participant

JC
                              Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                Participant

And what do statistics have to do with MY individual survival?   Statistics are based on numbers run on large numbers of people and do not foretell what WILL occcur in an individuals life.

JerryfromFauq
                                  Participant

JC
                                  Participant

other thing that doesn't make sense about these is how can it predict a lesion reduces someone's life by 0.8 years?  I mean that seems ridiculous – people don't die 0.8 years earlier because of melanoma. . .it either cuts a lot of years off life or, it's "cured" . . .how can it be 0.8 years, that makes no sense

JC
                                    Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics