The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Re: I could REALLY use some advice/encouragement

Forums General Melanoma Community I could REALLY use some advice/encouragement Re: I could REALLY use some advice/encouragement

washoegal
    Participant

I guess you are going to hear both side of the stories here.  I too am 3a, I chose the watch and wait approach.  I had a 3MM tumor on my waist, 2 microscopic amounts in 2 sentinel lymph nodes, I had all the other nodes removed under my arm – all clear.  I was offered interferon or watch and wait.  I was told I did not have enough cancer to qualify for any trials. 

My reasoning is as follows:  According to my Onc. Interferon would only increase my survival rate 5-10% and by the way those that did benefit from interferon did not live any longer than those that received no benefit.  (I did find the study that showed this on the net).  It's a year long protocol, with some nasty side effects, so I chose to live my life for that year.

Sorry I can't tell you if this was a good decision or not, my first set of scans post-surgery are in September.  Do what's right for you, just stay on top on you scans and be aware of changes in your body.  That, I think, is the best advice.

About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics