The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Joint Pain Relief

Forums General Melanoma Community Joint Pain Relief

Participant

Happy Spring everyone!

I wanted to give a little update from my last post about joint pain medication. As a review: all regular athritis medication has failed me and the next recommended step was to try methotrexate. Methotrexate being an immune suppresing drug, I was scared. I thought long and hard about it and decided I would at least try one natural way of getting relief before jumping on the more "hardcore" medication train.

So, I cut gluten out of my diet. I had done this experiement for my eczema many years ago, and it worked to help control flare ups of that. I thought, well, why not try it for joint pain/inflammation. Along with cutting out gluten I added more anti-inflammatory foods to my diet and generally just started to eat healthier. I haven't taken any anti-inflammatory medication or any pain relievers at all.

It's been 2 months and for the first time in close to 10 years I am pain free! I am shocked. I am not one of those types of people who jump on the natural remedy bandwagon every time I see some random Facebook post about "try this smoothie for this ailment!" type deal. I work with medical professionals, I take the scientific method seriously. So, I wasn't expecting a whole lot from this "experiment" of mine, but I knew it wouldn't hurt to try.

I wanted to share this in case it helps anyone else who might be dealing with this not so fun side effect of treatment. Obviously it's not for everyone and maybe at some point this will stop helping and I'll have to think about medication again. For now, I will daydream of gluten rich pizza while eating my salads.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        mrsaxde
        Participant

That's good to know! If you live in a medical marijuana state, you might also want to see what you can find in the way of THC/CBD infused salves. I get a 1:1 THC/CBD salve at my local dispensary that takes away pain in a very short time.

-Bill

SOLE
          Participant

Since last year some gout symptoms have appeared for me. Although I’ve changed my diet already (glute free for 2 years and counting), Id like to know what it is exactly you are doing. …  Im so happy for you though Jenn! NED still and arthritis symptoms free ! You rock! Coming on your two year cancer free if Im not mistaken… That looks mighty good! Keep at it and maybe try those keto pizza instead!

sing123
            Participant

How wonderful that you found relief! I have been gluten free for 10 years. Although I don't know if it is why my joint pain was manageable, I wonder if joint pain is exacerbated by treatment if someone continues to eat gluten and is intolerant. And I marvel at all the gluten free choices these days. Of course, I try not to overdo all the simple carb substitutes. Tho don't always succeed! 

Best to you!

WithinMySkin
              Participant

It's so nice to hear this update, Jenn! I know you've struggled with joint pain for years now, and I'm so glad you finally found something that works for you!!! My husband and I went on an elemination diet to find his triggers for acid reflux, and we found sooo many weird foods that would set him off and he finally got off the meds! It's worth exploring diet to see what works for you, your body, and your situation. Congrats to you and hope you stay pain-free and NED!! 

Lauren

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics