The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

To the attention of all mucosal melanoma patients

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community To the attention of all mucosal melanoma patients

Participant

So yesterday I met with Dr.Stephen Hodi and his team at Dana Farber. We discussed treatment options for stage 2 and 3 mucosal melanoma patients. In short, he confirmed that surgical resection is the best initial course  of action for this type of cancer when applicable  . Interferon and Yervoy / also radiation/ are the current options for adjuvant therapy for resected mucosal melanoma for stage 2 and 3 .However he said no one can predict if they can work or not on mucosal melanoma as these drugs were developed for  cutaneous melanoma .Dr.Hodi  gave me a printout of a clinical trial conducted recently in China for patients with resected  mucosal melanoma  stage 2 and 3 with a chemotherapy drug  that showed  promising results / 40% response rate/ and 2 years longer OS. He noted again,no one can predict if this chemo drug can apply individually.If any of you mucosal melanoma fellow warriors is interested in getting a scanned copy of that clinical trial, please  feel free to direct message me including your E-mail address, so I can email  it to you.

Connie D.,I tried to call you this morning .I hope that you mom is doing good and feeling well with not too bad side effects in her current clinical trial.

Have a great day everyone,

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Cindyco
        Participant

Hi Teodora,

Was it Cisplatin/Temodar?  I found an old thread from some people who have done that:  https://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/why-try-temozolomidecisplatin  I also know of a specific person with mucosal melanoma that has done this that I can put you in touch with if you like!

The other chemo-one that I know of in China is Avastin/Carboplatin/Abraxane (or Paclitaxel, which is just Abraxane).  

My mom's oncologist at MD Anderson did wonder whether people of Chinese descent respond better to chemo for biological reasons because I remember that they don't get the same response rates to chemo here in the US.  

Thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing the scans!

Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics