The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Prednisone Side Effects

Forums General Melanoma Community Prednisone Side Effects

Participant

Hello,

I have completed 3 rounds of the IPi/Nivo combo and it resulted in hypophysitits.  I have been on high doses of prednisone for the past 2 weeks.  Started at 80mg per day and ween down 10mg every 5 days.  I have become agitated, irritable and I don't feel myself.  My body aches, my jaw feels tight and I have an overall exhausted/tired feeling.  It doesn't go away even after a full nights sleep.  Not sure how much longer I can tolerate it.  

Has anyone else experienced this with high dose prednisione?

Thanks
      Mark

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        debwray
        Participant

Hi Mark,

Think you probably need to report this. Hypophysitis affects the pituitary which in turn can affect the thyroid, adrenals and testosterone production. You probably need more bloods doing to see what is going on.

When I was on 50 mg pred the nausea went and I had more energy than in months. However the taper was a bit fast and liver enzymes bounced back to higher levels before tracking down again. Had the third dose- liver enzymes up again- but put on 10 mg pred this time- like you am greatly fatigued, have no energy and my joints ache.

Your fatigue could be related to low thyroid levels ?  The other things could be related to treatment. and be unmasked as the steroids reduce. The reported cases seem to indicate that even with prompt steroid treatment damage to the anterior function of the pititary is likely to be permanent- so replacement streroids and thyroid meds are highly likely. Recovery of testosterone is more likely although time scale seems to vary.

Might be worth keeping a diary of the pred dose and symptoms- to make it easier for your oncologist to see how you are feeling.Fatigue etc seem to build as you get more doses of ipi nivo and I suppose it might be that but am glad they will be doing more bloods on Monday before they decide if I get dose 4 .

Sorry,  not much of an answer except that you are not alone dealing with all of this. Hope you are feeling more yourself soon. I'm trying to convince myself the fatigue is caused by the meds attacking the melanoma- it seems to make it easier to cope with.

Best wishes

Deb

newmanmark
            Participant

Thanks Deb.  I really appreciate you writing.  I have already left a message with my doctor and will hopefully have some followup tests early next week.  I hope you're able to get your 4th dose!

newmanmark
              Participant

Thanks Deb.  I really appreciate you writing.  I have already left a message with my doctor and will hopefully have some followup tests early next week.  I hope you're able to get your 4th dose!

debwray
              Participant

Hi Mark,

Think you probably need to report this. Hypophysitis affects the pituitary which in turn can affect the thyroid, adrenals and testosterone production. You probably need more bloods doing to see what is going on.

When I was on 50 mg pred the nausea went and I had more energy than in months. However the taper was a bit fast and liver enzymes bounced back to higher levels before tracking down again. Had the third dose- liver enzymes up again- but put on 10 mg pred this time- like you am greatly fatigued, have no energy and my joints ache.

Your fatigue could be related to low thyroid levels ?  The other things could be related to treatment. and be unmasked as the steroids reduce. The reported cases seem to indicate that even with prompt steroid treatment damage to the anterior function of the pititary is likely to be permanent- so replacement streroids and thyroid meds are highly likely. Recovery of testosterone is more likely although time scale seems to vary.

Might be worth keeping a diary of the pred dose and symptoms- to make it easier for your oncologist to see how you are feeling.Fatigue etc seem to build as you get more doses of ipi nivo and I suppose it might be that but am glad they will be doing more bloods on Monday before they decide if I get dose 4 .

Sorry,  not much of an answer except that you are not alone dealing with all of this. Hope you are feeling more yourself soon. I'm trying to convince myself the fatigue is caused by the meds attacking the melanoma- it seems to make it easier to cope with.

Best wishes

Deb

Mark_DC
                Participant

LMark, on prednisone i never felt fatigue — maybe this is from the ipi nivo – but yea did feel irritable, agitated, but also full of energy, found it very hard to sleep when on high dose (so took in the morning to minimize this) but when awake at night i was not depressed but would just think lots of things. Its a weird mixture of being very active but also being tired because of four to five hours sleep each night. It also makes me more decisive and impatient, good and bas. Am just saying that thse kinds of side effects are normal. Still as deb says there mtay be somehting else going on. When i am on prednisone i have to do blood work each week. Have been tapered off and hope that my liver readings stay ok so i can go back on treatment. Good luck, the prednisone side effects should ease off.

Mark_DC
                  Participant

LMark, on prednisone i never felt fatigue — maybe this is from the ipi nivo – but yea did feel irritable, agitated, but also full of energy, found it very hard to sleep when on high dose (so took in the morning to minimize this) but when awake at night i was not depressed but would just think lots of things. Its a weird mixture of being very active but also being tired because of four to five hours sleep each night. It also makes me more decisive and impatient, good and bas. Am just saying that thse kinds of side effects are normal. Still as deb says there mtay be somehting else going on. When i am on prednisone i have to do blood work each week. Have been tapered off and hope that my liver readings stay ok so i can go back on treatment. Good luck, the prednisone side effects should ease off.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics