The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pathology results

Forums General Melanoma Community Pathology results

Participant

I had a mole removed from my neck a little over a week ago. It was itchy and inflamed and had grown recently. The doctor put in the orders that they were trying to see if it was melanoma. I think she used the initials AMM. I got my printed results today and I'm kinda confused. The nurse called and said my mole was basically growing scar tissue; however, I'm unsure why an uninjured mole would do this. These are the pathology results that were written down: Desmoplastic compound nevus. p16,

MART-1, and Ki-67

immunostains examined.

GROSS:

Specimen labeled right neck is a 0.6 cm in diameter x 0.4 cm in depth

punch of tan skin with a 0.4 cm central brown papule. Entirely

submitted in 1A – three fragments.

Is this something to be concerned about or get a second opinion on? 

Thanks for the help. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        debwray
        Participant

Hi,

Sounds like your dermatologist wanted to confirm it was not an unpigmented melanoma.or amelanotic malignant melanoma AMM.

They have conducted p16 and ki67 tests which differentiate suspect lesions.

Think you said this was a punch biopsy. If you are still concerned in spite of the favourable report you could have the rest excised. Then even if it was misreported you are OK. However, where there is doubt the pathologist usually reports along the lines melanoma can not be excluded and recommends precautionary treatment..so I would think in all probability this is something you can forget about and move on.

Deb

debwray
          Participant

Hi,

Sounds like your dermatologist wanted to confirm it was not an unpigmented melanoma.or amelanotic malignant melanoma AMM.

Think you said this was a punch biopsy. If you are still concerned in spite of the favourable report you could have the rest excised. Then even if it was misreported you are OK. However, where there is doubt the pathologist usually reports along the lines melanoma can not be excluded and recommends precautionary treatment..so I would think in all probability this is something you can forget about and move on.

Deb

debwray
            Participant

Hi,

Deb

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics