The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Brain and bone mets

Forums General Melanoma Community Brain and bone mets

Participant
      I just was about to start th braf/mek combo trial this week when the routine MRI showed 5 small brain mets-the biggest is 1cm (is that still small)? The pet scan also showed activity in my bones, spine and nodes, along with the 20 subqs that i have been getting since mid December. The plan right now is WBR this weekend, then chemo until the braf trial that targets the brain as well opens up in Canada in six weeks.
      Is it a good sign that the Mel isn’t in any organs other than the brain? Are bone mets bad? I feel like the Mel went totally crazy within the past few months as I had a clear pet scan in august. Am I too far gone? Can I still slow it down and beat it?? I am 31 and have a 2yr old miracle son. I told my doctors that I am going to be one of those miracle patients that they tell their other patients about.
      I would really really love to hear some success stories from those of you who have had brain and bone mets. I need some reassurance that I can still beat this despite how aggressive it seems to have become.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        LynnLuc
        Participant

Hi! Hoping you do well with your treatments!

Having melanoma anywhere is not a good thing. We all hope it can be taken out and never to return. However- it's a only a hope . The bottom line is no doctor will tell us we "beat" it. I am NED and yet I know it can come back anyday…The best of oncologists will not give us the reassurance that we can beat it…some people respond to certain treatments while others don't. I don't believe it's hopeless for you or for anyone. Hold strong, have faith…the longer we stay alive the better our chances that a "cure" will come.

I was told I had 6- 9 months but I didn't accept it. It's been nearly 2 years since I was diagnosed as stage 4…and I am still here and I have no evidence of disease.

Praying for blessings for you,

Lynn

LynnLuc
          Participant

Hi! Hoping you do well with your treatments!

Having melanoma anywhere is not a good thing. We all hope it can be taken out and never to return. However- it's a only a hope . The bottom line is no doctor will tell us we "beat" it. I am NED and yet I know it can come back anyday…The best of oncologists will not give us the reassurance that we can beat it…some people respond to certain treatments while others don't. I don't believe it's hopeless for you or for anyone. Hold strong, have faith…the longer we stay alive the better our chances that a "cure" will come.

I was told I had 6- 9 months but I didn't accept it. It's been nearly 2 years since I was diagnosed as stage 4…and I am still here and I have no evidence of disease.

Praying for blessings for you,

Lynn

Carmon in NM
            Participant

I would say that 1 cm is small! I had two brain mets, one that was 6 ml and one that was 2×3 cm which was at the very edge of what could be treated with gamma knife. The good news for me was that after a craniotomay for the large met and gamma knife for both, I have now gone six months with no new brain mets and the two old ones are considered to be scar tissue.

So lots of hope for you with the brain mets!

I have not had experience with bone mets so I don't have any information to share there but with so many more treatment options available now, there is always hope to find something that will work for you. My good thoughts are prayers for you. Carmon

Carmon in NM
              Participant

I would say that 1 cm is small! I had two brain mets, one that was 6 ml and one that was 2×3 cm which was at the very edge of what could be treated with gamma knife. The good news for me was that after a craniotomay for the large met and gamma knife for both, I have now gone six months with no new brain mets and the two old ones are considered to be scar tissue.

So lots of hope for you with the brain mets!

I have not had experience with bone mets so I don't have any information to share there but with so many more treatment options available now, there is always hope to find something that will work for you. My good thoughts are prayers for you. Carmon

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics