The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

No braf/mek combo trial for me

Forums General Melanoma Community No braf/mek combo trial for me

Participant
      Well, after routine scans for the combo trial I was supposed to start on Wednesday, it turns out I have 5 small mets in my brain which puts that plan on hold. I have had no symptoms of the brain mets. I also had a clear Brain MRI in august. I am scared at how quick it is moving.
      The PET showed spots in my bones (arm, shoulder, leg, spine) as well as nodes and subqs in my hips and legs.
      The goal is to do WBR this week, start a chemo to stop the aggressiveness and then get into a braf trial that is opening up in Canada in six weeks that also targets the brain.
      I am devastated. But hopeful, but scared
      I am 31 and I have a two year old who needs me to be in his life for at least another twenty years.
      Have people lived through worse situations?????????????? Can I still live????

If you would like to get hold of me directly, please email at [email protected]

I need some encouragement today 🙁

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Cate
        Participant

Hi Linda, I'm sorry to hear you are going through this, but the good news is that, YES, people have survived this and I'm sure you will hear from some of them soon.  Take care and try to remain positive:)     Cate

Cate
          Participant

Hi Linda, I'm sorry to hear you are going through this, but the good news is that, YES, people have survived this and I'm sure you will hear from some of them soon.  Take care and try to remain positive:)     Cate

Vermont_Donna
            Participant

Hi,

So sorry this has happened to you! Melanoma is so scary, moving so fast! I read many many posts on this forum from people who are stage 4 and alive (and many doing well) for many years! They never lose hope and they keep searching and trying as many treatments that they deem appropriate for their illness. Please do not give up and keep your HOPE alive!!!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a and currently doing IPI

Vermont_Donna
              Participant

Hi,

So sorry this has happened to you! Melanoma is so scary, moving so fast! I read many many posts on this forum from people who are stage 4 and alive (and many doing well) for many years! They never lose hope and they keep searching and trying as many treatments that they deem appropriate for their illness. Please do not give up and keep your HOPE alive!!!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a and currently doing IPI

Fen
                Participant

I can't give you info on brain mets, but I urge you to post again under "brain mets" or something similar.  I remember a thread awhile ago where WBR vs cyberknife was discussed.

I can give you some encouragement too – you have everything to live for so throw everything you have into the fight – research, research, research.  Enlist others to help with whatever you need. Exercise, pray, do what you can to keep your spirits up and in fight mode.

Fen
                  Participant

I can't give you info on brain mets, but I urge you to post again under "brain mets" or something similar.  I remember a thread awhile ago where WBR vs cyberknife was discussed.

I can give you some encouragement too – you have everything to live for so throw everything you have into the fight – research, research, research.  Enlist others to help with whatever you need. Exercise, pray, do what you can to keep your spirits up and in fight mode.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics