The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Extent of surgery

Forums General Melanoma Community Extent of surgery

Participant

Hi all,

I am headed for surgery again following a recurrence in the lymph node basin. I have a couple of questions for you. First off, for inguinal lymph node dissections, what basins are still considered regional? Does having an involved lymph node in the iliac region still keep me in the same staging group? Secondly, how many levels of lymph nodes should be removed with this second surgery? The first surgery I had a year and a half ago was a superficial groin dissection, however, now I have one deep groin lymph node and one enlarged iliac lymph node, should all nodes up to pelvic area be removed? If anyone has gone through this if they could provide the extent of their surgery it would be greatly appreciated. I feel like my doctors are not being aggressive enough with their approach and want to ensure that this time I am doing as much as possible.

Nancy

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        jamieth29
        Participant
          Nancy,
          I had a superficial groin dissection in may they took 13 nodes. When i had my first ct scan a 8mm iliac node showed up it did not light up on pet so they did not do the deep dissection. From what i can figure out a node in that region can be up to 10mm and still be normal. After a scan in june the illiac node enlarged to 14mm so best i can figure out it was cancerous from diagnosis. I stared out stage 3c and my staging did not change as it was considered still regional. I had a surgery to remove the illiac node. The surgeon removed 5 nodes 3 were positive. Although after my next scan the same node was still there on ct but had grown to 18mm and lit up on pet. After changing doctors and consulting with surgeon they have decided to go in and do laproscopic surgery and remove everthing in the illiac region. I will still be considered 3c after surgery. I like you feel the doctors were not aggressive enough with surgery but they are trying to limit lymphedema chances. If you have any specific questions please ask
          Jamie
          jamieth29
          Participant
            Nancy,
            I had a superficial groin dissection in may they took 13 nodes. When i had my first ct scan a 8mm iliac node showed up it did not light up on pet so they did not do the deep dissection. From what i can figure out a node in that region can be up to 10mm and still be normal. After a scan in june the illiac node enlarged to 14mm so best i can figure out it was cancerous from diagnosis. I stared out stage 3c and my staging did not change as it was considered still regional. I had a surgery to remove the illiac node. The surgeon removed 5 nodes 3 were positive. Although after my next scan the same node was still there on ct but had grown to 18mm and lit up on pet. After changing doctors and consulting with surgeon they have decided to go in and do laproscopic surgery and remove everthing in the illiac region. I will still be considered 3c after surgery. I like you feel the doctors were not aggressive enough with surgery but they are trying to limit lymphedema chances. If you have any specific questions please ask
            Jamie
              Nanners10
              Participant

Thank you so much Jamie! That helps to clarify everything for me. I also have my appt upcoming this week with the surgeon so I can request he go as aggressive as possible in the iliac region. I have one node 1.7cm in the deep inguinal and one node 1.4 in the external iliac region so I am hoping he is on the same page as me and prepared to take all deep inguinal and iliac nodes.

Nancy

Nanners10
                Participant

Thank you so much Jamie! That helps to clarify everything for me. I also have my appt upcoming this week with the surgeon so I can request he go as aggressive as possible in the iliac region. I have one node 1.7cm in the deep inguinal and one node 1.4 in the external iliac region so I am hoping he is on the same page as me and prepared to take all deep inguinal and iliac nodes.

Nancy

Nanners10
                  Participant

Nancy

jamieth29
                  Participant
                    Nancy,
                    Jamie
                    gregor913
                    Participant

I just had my CLND today. Had all 3 levels of my armpit taken out. Hopefully im done and none of those lil bastards are floating around. Good luck to you. Im a little sore now but I really dont need pain pills. but I heard the groin is more rough on pain.

gregor913
                      Participant

I just had my CLND today. Had all 3 levels of my armpit taken out. Hopefully im done and none of those lil bastards are floating around. Good luck to you. Im a little sore now but I really dont need pain pills. but I heard the groin is more rough on pain.

gregor913
                        Participant

gregor913
                          Participant

I noticed that when people have lymph nodes that can be felt they usually have the disecction then radiation.

gregor913
                            Participant

I noticed that when people have lymph nodes that can be felt they usually have the disecction then radiation.

gregor913
                              Participant

gregor913
                                Participant
                                  How were the lymph nodes found. Thru scans or were they enlarged where you can touch them. This can give more options of treatment?
                                    Nanners10
                                    Participant

I was on the ipi/interferon trial and finished my treatment in June of this year. Routine clinical trial CT scan showed enlarged lymph nodes. They cannot be felt at this point (perhaps because they are too deep).

Nanners10
                                      Participant

I was on the ipi/interferon trial and finished my treatment in June of this year. Routine clinical trial CT scan showed enlarged lymph nodes. They cannot be felt at this point (perhaps because they are too deep).

Nanners10
                                        Participant

gregor913
                                        Participant
                                          How were the lymph nodes found. Thru scans or were they enlarged where you can touch them. This can give more options of treatment?
                                          gregor913
                                          Participant
                                            AshleyS
                                            Participant

Hi Nancy. When I had a complete SLNB, I had all of my nodes removed – all they could see. It ended up being fifteen & three were positive for melanoma. (I found a lump in my groin by touch.) I did not have radiation or go on meds because I was 24 weeks pregnant. After delivering my son, I found out my cancer spread to my liver and throughout my body. Just a quick note – I feel like I'm a pretty tough lady, but the SLNB was difficult. My pregnancy made it more difficult, but still…. Whatever you decide, best of luck to you. 

Ashley

AshleyS
                                              Participant

Hi Nancy. When I had a complete SLNB, I had all of my nodes removed – all they could see. It ended up being fifteen & three were positive for melanoma. (I found a lump in my groin by touch.) I did not have radiation or go on meds because I was 24 weeks pregnant. After delivering my son, I found out my cancer spread to my liver and throughout my body. Just a quick note – I feel like I'm a pretty tough lady, but the SLNB was difficult. My pregnancy made it more difficult, but still…. Whatever you decide, best of luck to you. 

Ashley

Nanners10
                                                  Participant

Thanks Ashley, I have my appt with the surgeon tomorrow so I will see what he is thinking. Hoping the recovery isn't too bad but only time will tell.

I wish you luck with your battle!

Nancy

Nanners10
                                                    Participant

Thanks Ashley, I have my appt with the surgeon tomorrow so I will see what he is thinking. Hoping the recovery isn't too bad but only time will tell.

Nancy

Nanners10
                                                      Participant

Nancy

AshleyS
                                                      Participant

Ashley

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics