The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Is it normal for moles to disappear?

Forums General Melanoma Community Is it normal for moles to disappear?

Participant

I had an odd mole on my finger in my teens.  It always caught my eye.  It eventually disappeared.  I've had early stage melanoma.  Should I worry that that mole, years ago, was a melanoma that regressed?  Or is it normal to have moles regress in teens/early twenties?

I had an odd mole on my finger in my teens.  It always caught my eye.  It eventually disappeared.  I've had early stage melanoma.  Should I worry that that mole, years ago, was a melanoma that regressed?  Or is it normal to have moles regress in teens/early twenties?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        PSD
        Participant

Yes, they can. Ask your doctor at your next appointment.

mlbjab
            Participant

Do you mean yes they can regress or yes it could have been melanoma?

I was young, so I had no idea what melanoma looked like.  I do, however, remember thinking instinctually that I did not like that mole.  I remember noticing it when I was using a pen and thinking to myself – that is an odd mole, but then telling myself it was JUST a mole not to worry.  Now, years later being diagnosed with melanoma and many atypicals, I worry that that was also a melanoma that regressed.  It caught my eye the same way that my melanoma did (I thought it was odd).  This is why the memory of that mole came to me. 

mlbjab
              Participant

Do you mean yes they can regress or yes it could have been melanoma?

I was young, so I had no idea what melanoma looked like.  I do, however, remember thinking instinctually that I did not like that mole.  I remember noticing it when I was using a pen and thinking to myself – that is an odd mole, but then telling myself it was JUST a mole not to worry.  Now, years later being diagnosed with melanoma and many atypicals, I worry that that was also a melanoma that regressed.  It caught my eye the same way that my melanoma did (I thought it was odd).  This is why the memory of that mole came to me. 

PSD
              Participant

Yes, they can. Ask your doctor at your next appointment.

Janner
                Participant

Regression is a normal process.  If the mole wasn't suspicious before it faded away, then I, personally, wouldn't give it another thought.  I've had quite a few moles fade away and I am just happy I have one less mole to check!

Best wishes,

Janner

mlbjab
                    Participant

Thanks for the info.  I did look online after I asked my question and found that moles can and do regress even when u r young.  I always thought they only did when you got old.  I feel a little better.  I find myself questioning a lot of things since my diagnosis. 

mlbjab
                      Participant

Thanks for the info.  I did look online after I asked my question and found that moles can and do regress even when u r young.  I always thought they only did when you got old.  I feel a little better.  I find myself questioning a lot of things since my diagnosis. 

Janner
                      Participant

Regression is a normal process.  If the mole wasn't suspicious before it faded away, then I, personally, wouldn't give it another thought.  I've had quite a few moles fade away and I am just happy I have one less mole to check!

Best wishes,

Janner

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics