The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Failed weaning of Decadron X 3 for Melanoma with Mets to the brain and lung

Forums General Melanoma Community Failed weaning of Decadron X 3 for Melanoma with Mets to the brain and lung

Participant

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I am having a real difficult time right now and am hopeing someone has some experience they can share with me on this topic.  I feel weird saying that because I find it uncomfortable wanting someone to have the same experience since I would never want my worst ememy to go through this, but I hope you guys will understand where my heart is coming from. My dad was diagnosed in December with Stage 4 Melanoma with mets to the brain (18 tumors) and lung (1 large tumor). He is 64 years old. He had Neurosurgery where they removed 14 out of the 18 tumors, the other 4 are too close to the brain stem to operate on. He had 15 whole brain radiations done. His biggest complaint is being fatiged, food not tasting good, and lack of sleep. He has been on Decadron and MD's have attempted to slowly wean him off of it. Every time he is off the steroids, his balance is effected (he has fallen) he becomes forgetful and has severe neurologic changes, requiring he goes back on the steroid, to give him the best quality of life. Has anyone had this experience? I know its bad for people to stay on the steroids long term, risk for infection etc. Will he be able to wean off successfully at some point? I imagine he still has substantial brain swelling (neurosurgery done on Feb 7th) if this powerful steroid (8mg) daily is being required. He is also on Yervoy recieved 2/4 treatments with no adverse effects. Thank you. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Marianne quinn
        Participant

Sounds like he still has brain swelling to me also. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with steroids but they seem to help him.

csellers23
            Participant
              Yes we had the same problem. Along with a bad bad headache. They upped his dex again and waited for swelling to go down . then a few weeks later we started cutting back again and dis fine. We started on 12mg of dex a day to 2 mg a day.. You shouldn’t be on them,long term but when you dealing with the brain the side effects of dex are small potatoes. When his brain was ready he did fine cutting back. His side effects were joint pain anger sick to his stomach and sleepy. Also a fever because he was on yearvoy and dex will keep a fever down. Best of,luck to you guys By the was his cancer is in brain bones lungs soft tissue. Lineing of stomach
              csellers23
              Participant
                Yes we had the same problem. Along with a bad bad headache. They upped his dex again and waited for swelling to go down . then a few weeks later we started cutting back again and dis fine. We started on 12mg of dex a day to 2 mg a day.. You shouldn’t be on them,long term but when you dealing with the brain the side effects of dex are small potatoes. When his brain was ready he did fine cutting back. His side effects were joint pain anger sick to his stomach and sleepy. Also a fever because he was on yearvoy and dex will keep a fever down. Best of,luck to you guys By the was his cancer is in brain bones lungs soft tissue. Lineing of stomach
                csellers23
                Participant
                Marianne quinn
                Participant

Sounds like he still has brain swelling to me also. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with steroids but they seem to help him.

Marianne quinn
                  Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics