The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

WLE Wound Care

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community WLE Wound Care

Participant

Today 5/11/17 my dad had one large excision on his back and bilateral axillary lymph node biopsy. Two moles were excised, he was supposed to have two excisions but the doctor said since they were close enough they did one long excison. The wound on his back was bleeding through the dressing and there is swelling. We figured this is normal, he was afterall cut into. The instructions to go home were to leave the dressing on for 2 days (until ok to shower), remove steri- strips 5 days after surgery, keep any dressing that are on your skin clean and dry. 

A few quesions ..

1. The bleeding is normal right?

2. Since its bleeing through, we should change it? 

I felt the instuctions are kind of vauge, dont want to do anything wrong or put him at risk for inection. 

Background: shave biopsy April 17th, path. report April 21, surgery May 11 . 

Amelanotic Melanoma, Breslow thickness 3.85mm, Clark Level IV, ulceraton present (approx 1mm) 

Also, the path report says the pathologic stage is : pT3b , does this mean he may be a stage 3? I know they wont know for sure unitl results from the SLNB come back. 

He has not has any scans done yet. 

Any input in helpful, Thanks, 

Luda

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies

I would call the office and ask your specific questions.  My thought would be to yes change the dressing but I'm afraid to do anything without asking the professionals first.  They expect calls and they will be more than happy to answer a few quick questions.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics