The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pathology report…is margins clear?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Pathology report…is margins clear?

Participant

Hi. Last week I had a conservative excision to remove the rest of a atypical  mole.  I got the patholgy report back and I was wondering if the margins are all clear? 

Diagnosis: Surgical Changes

Gross Discriptin: Received in formation, labeled "right mid upper back", is a 2.8 x1.2 cm elliptical excision specimen of gray-tan skin and subcutaneous tissue. The specimen is inked, serially sectioned and submitted entirely in four cassettes.

microscope decription: sections show surgical changes without residual nevomelanocytic proliferation. 

I go back in a week to get the stiches. out. Whats next? 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Margins are clear – there is "nothing else" in relation to this lesion.

Janner
          Participant

Brigitte
              Participant

Thank you Jenner! 

Brigitte
                Participant

Thank you Jenner! 

Brigitte
                  Participant

Thank you Jenner! 

Janner
                  Participant

ed williams
                    Participant

Brigette, who gave you the pathologist report ?  If it was a professional, did they not discuss the report with you?  What did they tell you?

Brigitte
                        Participant

Yes Ed. The nurse called and said the margins were clear. I have heard other  people on other sites say that they thought their margns were clear only to discover after reading their pathology reports that they weren't. I have a appointment to get my stiches out next week and Im sure she would have confirmed the report. I guess I just needed another conformation that this thing is all gone. 

Brigitte
                          Participant

Yes Ed. The nurse called and said the margins were clear. I have heard other  people on other sites say that they thought their margns were clear only to discover after reading their pathology reports that they weren't. I have a appointment to get my stiches out next week and Im sure she would have confirmed the report. I guess I just needed another conformation that this thing is all gone. 

Brigitte
                            Participant

ed williams
                              Participant

I hear you, don't be afraid to ask questions of the medical staff. I was worried about who was giving you the information, not all family doctors having the necessary background with skin cancer to be giving advice. I hope this turns out to be the last time you have to deal with the fear that melanoma can create. Best Wishes Ed

ed williams
                                Participant

I hear you, don't be afraid to ask questions of the medical staff. I was worried about who was giving you the information, not all family doctors having the necessary background with skin cancer to be giving advice. I hope this turns out to be the last time you have to deal with the fear that melanoma can create. Best Wishes Ed

Brigitte
                                  Participant

Thank you Ed! 

Brigitte
                                    Participant

Thank you Ed! 

Brigitte
                                      Participant

Thank you Ed! 

ed williams
                                        Participant

ed williams
                                        Participant

Brigette, who gave you the pathologist report ?  If it was a professional, did they not discuss the report with you?  What did they tell you?

ed williams
                                          Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics