The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

skin type and stage survey

Forums General Melanoma Community skin type and stage survey

Participant

Hello MPIPers, a few of us in Victoria Canada are doing everything we can to pass a tanning bylaw that would ban under 18 year olds. We are at the public hearing stage and Steve Gilroy is telling us we need only parental consent and a ban of skin type ones. I have issues with this, one of which being I took the online skin test; answered the questions as my younger self and was informed  I could tan sensibly.  I'm sure most teens, fair or not,  would be inclined to get the same response.

Hello MPIPers, a few of us in Victoria Canada are doing everything we can to pass a tanning bylaw that would ban under 18 year olds. We are at the public hearing stage and Steve Gilroy is telling us we need only parental consent and a ban of skin type ones. I have issues with this, one of which being I took the online skin test; answered the questions as my younger self and was informed  I could tan sensibly.  I'm sure most teens, fair or not,  would be inclined to get the same response.

I also think not only fair skinned folks get melanoma but am unsure of my facts.

So if anyone feels they can help me I would really appreciate hearing from you!

(And for anyone who wants to make a submission to the hearings before sept 30 here is the link  http://www.crd.bc.ca/_contact/?r=768  ) 

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
          bonnieb
          Participant

I am not sure what you are refering to by skin type but I live in Kamloops, BC, was 35 at diagnosis, have no family history and never went in a tanning bed. I am not overly fair but I do hav e red hair and many moles.

I can not believe the tanning industry advertising that takes place here and it makes me sick! Good luck with your proposal and I hope you set a precedent the rest of the provice will follow.

Bonnie

bcl
            Participant

Hello Bonnie,  thanks so much for your reply.  There is something called the Fitzpatrick skin type classification http://www.dermatology.ca/photoaging/skin_type.html which is based on a person’s reaction to sun/uv exposure. And from what I read,  I think type 2's should also be banned (the chief medical heath officer hinted at such a ban at the first open house. He is on his toes I tell you:) I too hope we set a precedent. If fact, I said just that last night – first the CRD then BC then Canada. (And I think with three of us in the same town it might just happen!)

The tanning industry has a public service site here  http://www.skintype.ca/  

"KELOWNA, B.C. (June 9) – Canadians have a free new on-line tool to help everyone better understand effective outdoor sunburn prevention. The Joint Canadian Tanning Association this week launched http://www.SkinType.ca as a public service to teach everyone what professional indoor tanning facilities already teach their clients: How to avoid sunburn by understanding your genetic skin type."

bcl
              Participant

Hello Bonnie,  thanks so much for your reply.  There is something called the Fitzpatrick skin type classification http://www.dermatology.ca/photoaging/skin_type.html which is based on a person’s reaction to sun/uv exposure. And from what I read,  I think type 2's should also be banned (the chief medical heath officer hinted at such a ban at the first open house. He is on his toes I tell you:) I too hope we set a precedent. If fact, I said just that last night – first the CRD then BC then Canada. (And I think with three of us in the same town it might just happen!)

The tanning industry has a public service site here  http://www.skintype.ca/  

"KELOWNA, B.C. (June 9) – Canadians have a free new on-line tool to help everyone better understand effective outdoor sunburn prevention. The Joint Canadian Tanning Association this week launched http://www.SkinType.ca as a public service to teach everyone what professional indoor tanning facilities already teach their clients: How to avoid sunburn by understanding your genetic skin type."

Bonnie Lea
                Participant

Hiya bcl  (Bonnie Lea here)

even though I am from Ontario, I am hhoping that this outright ban can happen throughout the whole country.  I did the 'fitzpatric skin typing, and I came up with a 2 type for myself.  No family history whatso ever.  I burned badly as an infant, apparently, and then I remember age 8 having a horrific burn on my shoulders,  (my mel was nape of my neck)  stage 2 almost  4.00 mm thick.

Even though I havenever even seen a tanning bed (cept on TV)  and I never actively sought the sun, but chose to be in the shade, I would get burned badly.  I wish I could enjoy the actual sunshine as it feels sooooo warm and nice on sore bones and oh just nice to be thinking  of the sun shine healing me,  but those UV and UB rays are what is at fault, and those tanning beds are just that  no warm yellow sunshine, but purple invisible  too rays. 

I sometimes do wonder how on earth man decided that pale skin should be bronze skin…If we here in Ontario and other provinces can be of assistance to you and your works, let me know. 

I hate melanoma  (and all cancers for that matter()

bcl
                  Participant

Hi there Bonnie Lea- thank you so much for taking the time not only to respond but  to take the skin type test and let me know the results:)  I did not burn beds either, just outside. My own daughters tanned in the beds and I could not stop them. My dx stopped them, lousy way for a parent to win an argument. 

Our Chief Medical Officer has pointed out tanning in a bed is like tanning at the equator at high noon. The industry message is that we need Vit D to survive. The doc brings along a little bottle of Vit D:)  Another theme that's surfacing is one of nutrition “Sunlight doesn’t contribute to skin cancer, unless the person exposed is nutritionally and anti-oxidant deficient.” “The Health Ranger” linked via JCTA / smarttan as educational material. (????)

It really is time our goverments put some teeth into the millions of dollars they spend on education. I hear there is new pressure in Ontario and hope we can send some inspiration. I really think the medical heath officers are key to wider spread lefistlation along with a few determined advocates. In fact, a recent study from Boston University proved it. http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2010-03/bumc-ris032310.php 

Perhpas you could write a letter to our CRD.. it is open to non residents. http://www.crd.bc.ca/_contact/?r=768 If we tackle this as a national/ international problem ( which it is!) we will have more impact.   Thanks again Bonnie Lea, bclinda

bcl
                    Participant

oops, I am rushing to work, and relied on the spell ck to make the changes I agreed on, yikes:)

bcl
                      Participant

oops, I am rushing to work, and relied on the spell ck to make the changes I agreed on, yikes:)

bcl
                        Participant

Hi there Bonnie Lea- thank you so much for taking the time not only to respond but  to take the skin type test and let me know the results:)  I did not burn beds either, just outside. My own daughters tanned in the beds and I could not stop them. My dx stopped them, lousy way for a parent to win an argument. 

Our Chief Medical Officer has pointed out tanning in a bed is like tanning at the equator at high noon. The industry message is that we need Vit D to survive. The doc brings along a little bottle of Vit D:)  Another theme that's surfacing is one of nutrition “Sunlight doesn’t contribute to skin cancer, unless the person exposed is nutritionally and anti-oxidant deficient.” “The Health Ranger” linked via JCTA / smarttan as educational material. (????)

It really is time our goverments put some teeth into the millions of dollars they spend on education. I hear there is new pressure in Ontario and hope we can send some inspiration. I really think the medical heath officers are key to wider spread lefistlation along with a few determined advocates. In fact, a recent study from Boston University proved it. http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2010-03/bumc-ris032310.php 

Perhpas you could write a letter to our CRD.. it is open to non residents. http://www.crd.bc.ca/_contact/?r=768 If we tackle this as a national/ international problem ( which it is!) we will have more impact.   Thanks again Bonnie Lea, bclinda

Bonnie Lea
                          Participant

Hiya bcl  (Bonnie Lea here)

even though I am from Ontario, I am hhoping that this outright ban can happen throughout the whole country.  I did the 'fitzpatric skin typing, and I came up with a 2 type for myself.  No family history whatso ever.  I burned badly as an infant, apparently, and then I remember age 8 having a horrific burn on my shoulders,  (my mel was nape of my neck)  stage 2 almost  4.00 mm thick.

Even though I havenever even seen a tanning bed (cept on TV)  and I never actively sought the sun, but chose to be in the shade, I would get burned badly.  I wish I could enjoy the actual sunshine as it feels sooooo warm and nice on sore bones and oh just nice to be thinking  of the sun shine healing me,  but those UV and UB rays are what is at fault, and those tanning beds are just that  no warm yellow sunshine, but purple invisible  too rays. 

I sometimes do wonder how on earth man decided that pale skin should be bronze skin…If we here in Ontario and other provinces can be of assistance to you and your works, let me know. 

I hate melanoma  (and all cancers for that matter()

bonnieb
                            Participant

I am not sure what you are refering to by skin type but I live in Kamloops, BC, was 35 at diagnosis, have no family history and never went in a tanning bed. I am not overly fair but I do hav e red hair and many moles.

I can not believe the tanning industry advertising that takes place here and it makes me sick! Good luck with your proposal and I hope you set a precedent the rest of the provice will follow.

Bonnie

washoegal
                            Participant

I am blond with fair to medium skin – tan easily.  However, after I got mel I heard from a classmate that her mother who is Filipino had Melanoma, so much for fair skin!

washoegal
                                Participant

Forgot to mention I am stage 3.  Don't know about my friends mother, probably before current staging.

washoegal
                                  Participant

Forgot to mention I am stage 3.  Don't know about my friends mother, probably before current staging.

bcl
                                    Participant

Hi Washoegal, thank you for responding… this is exactly what I was wondering about.

bcl
                                      Participant

Hi Washoegal, thank you for responding… this is exactly what I was wondering about.

washoegal
                                      Participant

I am blond with fair to medium skin – tan easily.  However, after I got mel I heard from a classmate that her mother who is Filipino had Melanoma, so much for fair skin!

Viewing 3 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics